04. v-mary

I woke the following morning feeling groggy and disoriented. My muscles ached, my body sore from the long night before. I stretched my arm, catching sight of the dark bruises forming on my upper arm. I rubbed my eyes, pushing away the memories of waking up at home with similar bruises.

I rolled over, burying my face in my pillow. Images flashed in my mind as I imagined the man's face. The way he was grabbing me. The predatory look in his eyes. Goosebumps pricked my skin as I shuddered.

I pulled my phone from the nightstand, opening Beck's contact.

ME: Thanks again for last night. Grateful to be alive today.

BECK: Don't mention it.

I set my phone back down on the nightstand and pulled the covers over my head. I was not getting out of bed today.

At some point I dozed back off, letting the warmth of my bed lull me into a comforting sleep. I woke up hours later, peering at the clock beside my bed. It was late afternoon.

I dragged myself out of bed, sluggishly heading downstairs for dinner. It wasn't until I was done eating that a knock sounded on the door. Hesitantly, I made my way to the door.

"Open the door, Em." Beck's voice called through the wood. "It's me."

Slowly, I opened the door. Beck stood on my front step, his hands in his pockets. He was dressed casually in jeans and a t-shirt, his hair wet from the rain outside. I looked at him curiously.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, stepping aside to allow him inside.

He shrugged as he stepped into the house, closing the door behind him. "Thought you could use a friend," he answered simply.

I frowned but allowed him to walk into the living room and drop on the couch. "A friend?" I echoed, eyeing him suspiciously.

He nodded. "A friend. No funny business," he held up his middle and ring finger in a vulgar gesture. "Scouts honour."

I laughed. "That's not the scouts' honour salute and you know it."

Beck grinned as he turned his attention to the TV, turning it on. "Whatever you say, boss," he teased playfully.

I sat on the opposite side of the couch, my gaze fixed on the wall to avoid staring at him. We sat in silence as the TV played quietly in the background until he spoke.

"So, remember how I told you I'd train you for free?" He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "I still will, you don't owe me anything, but if you could... Do you think you could help me out with our Calculus course? If my grades get too low they won't let me be captain anymore."

I watched him closely as his cheeks blushed, and I couldn't help but find him adorable when he was nervous. I laughed a little. "Beck, are you asking me for help?" I teased. He didn't respond, or laugh, and I could tell he actually was really nervous asking for help. I softened my voice. "Yes, I'll help you."

I saw him relax as he let out a long breath. "Thank you," he met my gaze.

I shrugged. "It's the least I could do."

Beck and I spent the rest of the night watching TV. At some point I must have fallen asleep, and when I woke, I was tucked in my bed. I glanced at my phone to find a text from Beck.

Beck: Sleep tight, friend. Thanks for tonight.

I smiled at my phone and climbed out of my bed, hopping into the shower to wash away the weekend. It was Sunday, which meant that Theo was coming back from his trip. Which also meant I got to see him. I really needed to get on finding a 'sex coach', soon.