21. keeping the spirit alive and all that shit

I spent the rest of the day with Beck's mom, leaving poor Beck to fend for himself when Griff and Morgan inevitably ganged up on him. She took us to the salon first, helping me pick out a nail colour while our feet soaked in the warm tubs beneath us. I couldn't help but feel guilty for her spending this much on me. It felt too much.

I leaned my head against the massage chair, turning it to meet her gaze. "You really don't have to do all of this for me," I said, biting the inside of my cheek nervously. "Your hospitality is more than I could ever ask for."

"Oh, honey," she laughed. "I don't think you understand how much fun this is for me," she leaned a little closer, placing a gentle hand on my arm. "I love Beck, and I'm so grateful for Morgan, but sometimes I need a little girl-talk with a daughter than can actually talk." She smiled. "Plus, I know you're uncomfortable that I'm paying for your dress, but please, let me spoil you a little. You're family now, and that's what family does."

I gave her a soft smile. "Thank you,"

She returned my smile, giving my arm a gentle squeeze before sitting back.

"Now, why don't you tell me what's going on between you and my son," she grinned, sending my stomach into knots.

I felt myself blush, staring at her with wide eyes. I stuttered over my words, unsure how to answer.

She let out a soft laugh, holding a hand up. "Relax, sweetie. I just want to know. He seems happy."

"It's, um, it's complicated," I mumbled.

"It always is," she mused, watching as the nail technician worked on her hands. "Beck has been through a lot, and it's left him a little damaged. He's been hurt in the past," she paused, her eyes fixed on me. "But, I think you're helping him heal."

I met her eyes, giving her a soft smile. I didn't know how to respond to that, unsure how much she actually knew about the extent of my 'relationship' with her son. She gave me a soft smile, patting my arm.

"You're a sweet girl, Emily, and I can tell you've really taken care of him. I'm so glad he found you," she assured as the technician finished with our nails. "Now, let's get some pizza to bring home, yeah?"

When we entered the house, it was complete chaos. The sound of laughter filled the living room as Beck was chased around the table by Griff and Morgan.

"Get away!" He screamed, darting for the other side of the table. "Help!" Beck shot me a look, ducking behind the couch. I stayed rooted in my spot, holding my stomach as I laughed at the pure terror on his face. "Traitor!" He cried, looking at me with pleading eyes.

I bit back my grin as Griff and Morgan tried to grab him from behind. He tried to run, only to trip over a couch cushion. He fell, landing face first into the carpet. The room went silent as we all looked down at Beck, who laid face down on the carpet. I was the first to burst into laughter, covering my mouth with my hand. It wasn't long before everyone - except Beck, was laughing as well.

He groaned on the ground, extending a hand in a silent plea for help. I tugged on his arm, helping him stand, my cheeks stinging from laughing so hard. "I thought you were supposed to be athletic," I teased.

He gave me an unimpressed look, leaning against the couch.

"Don't tease him, Em," Jen said, her tone so serious I felt my stomach churn. She watched me for a moment before a grin broke out on her face. "He's just upset he's lost to his six year old sister," she teased, placing the pizzas on the table.

Beck groaned, sitting down at the table. "You have to be kidding me," he grumbled.

Morgan looked proud as she sat across from Beck. "You're only mad cause I beat you!"