16. someone

Beck's POV

I woke to the familiar scent of lavender, the sweet smell filling my senses as I closed my eyes, breathing it in as if I would never get the chance to again.

Emily lay sprawled across the bed, her head resting on my chest, her legs tangled with mine as her hair tickled my neck. I watched her sleep. Sure, maybe that made me creepy, but I didn't care. She was so beautiful, so soft.

I could have spent the rest of my life watching her.

The way I felt about Emily was confusing. I found myself so inexplicably drawn to her, so completely attached to her it terrified me. I went through the events of the night before. No part of me was pretending while I held her, while I kissed her scars and told her she was perfect. She was. She was my perfect girl.

I tried to figure out how I could tell her that there was no part of me that thought of this as just a deal. That there was no part of me that didn't want to spend the rest of my life with her.

My hands shook as I gently untangled our limbs, sliding out of the bed and making my way into the kitchen, calling the only person who I knew could help me:

My mom.

The phone rang as I leaned against the fridge until at last, she answered.

"Beckett, honey?" My mom's soft voice sounded through the line and it was almost like my troubles melted away then and there. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine." I sighed, leaning back against the fridge. "Just been thinking about something."

My mom laughed lightly on the other end of the line. "You always are," it wasn't long before her voice grew serious. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

A small smile graced my lips. "There's a girl," I breathed, my mind drifting to Emily fast asleep in my bed. "I think I'm falling in love with her, mom."

She paused for a moment, her silence bringing a wave of unease over me. I had never admitted anything like that to anyone before and I felt exposed, vulnerable. "Beckett, that's amazing." I could hear her smile through the phone as she gasped. "When do I get to meet her?"

"Mom," I laughed softly, shaking my head. "I haven't told her how I feel yet."

Her laugh turned into a sigh. "What's her name?"

"Emily," I felt myself smile as I said her name, leaning my head back against the fridge. I was so fucked.

"That's a pretty name," my mom commented, her voice light and airy, almost teasing. "Do you think Emily feels the same way about you?"

"I don't know," I murmured, closing my eyes. "Never really something I've worried about before."

"Well, whatever happens, you will be fine," my mom assured me, her voice calming even if the words themselves were not. "Whether or not this girl loves you, you deserve someone who does. You're an incredible kid, Beckett. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Mom," I mumbled, feeling tears prick my eyes.

"Anytime." She chuckled softly, sounding relieved. "I miss you."

"I miss you too," I admitted, swallowing thickly.

After hanging up the phone I made my way back to my room, carefully creeping inside. Emily laid in my bed, a lazy smile on her lips as she watched me make my way toward her.

"Morning," I smiled, closing the door and leaning against it. "How'd you sleep?" I watched her as she tucked a strand of her messy blonde hair behind her ear. Beautiful.