13. DECEMBER

The Andrews House.

ANDIE, PRISSY and JANE. 

Andie: Right, Prissy, you be Beatrice.

Jane: But I should like to be Beatrice!

Andie: Oh, you be Beatrice then. Prissy be Benedick. 

Prissy: Fine, but Andie, you are a more accomplished actor than I am. Show me first how you would do it! 

Andie: Prissy!

Prissy: Come on, it's just for fun. 

Andie: Fine, ready Jane? 

JANE as BEATRICE.

Jane: "I wonder that you will still be talking, Signor Benedick; nobody marks you!"

ANDIE amps up BENEDICK giving him a very low pitch which makes both other girls giggle.

Andie: "WHAT, my dear Lady Disdain! Are you yet LIVING?"

Jane: It's too ridiculous, Andie. I can't do it - 

Prissy: Come on Jane!

Jane: "Is it possible disdain should die while she hath such meet food to feed it as Signor Benedick? Courtesy itself must convert to disdain, if you come in her presence."

Andie: "COURTESY is a TURNCOAT! But", gosh it's hard to stay in role, "BUT IT IS CERTAIN"

The others giggle.

"That I am loved of ALL ladies, only you excepted; and I would I could find it in my heart that I have had not a hard heart, for truly, I love none".

Jane: "A dear happiness to women!"

ANDIE pretends to faint as if she is shocked. The others immediately reach for her, laughing. ANDIE rolls on the floor laughing. MRS ANDREWS storms in. 

Mrs A: Girls! Really, a slice of decorum might be nice.

Prissy: We're rehearsing for the Christmas school talent show, mother. We've enlisted Andie's help.

Mrs A: Might she help, quieter?

 Andie: My apologies, Mrs Andrews.

ANDIE stands up and brushes her dress down, the others try not to laugh. MRS ANDREWS tries to stay mad but instead starts to laugh.

MRS LYNDE knocks on the door. MRS ANDREWS gets it.

Mrs Lynde: Mrs Andrews, good day to you.

Mrs A: Good day to you Mrs Lynde, how might we help you today?

Mrs Lynde: As you know Christmas will soon be upon us and I was wondering if your girls might help in the service as they did last year?

Mrs A: I'm sure they would love to help, please come on in.

Mrs Lynde: Ah Miss Norman, you're here too I see. It was fated!

Andie: Mrs Lynde, always a pleasure to see you.

Mrs Lynde: I am always delighted to see our youth blushing with fun and laughter. Smiles seem to follow you wherever you go, Miss Andraya.

Andie: What a lovely thing to say, thank you Mrs Lynde.

Mrs A: I'll fetch us some tea.

Jane: I'll help, mother.

JANE and MRS ANDREWS leave.

Mrs Lynde: You'll help in the Christmas service, Andraya, won't you?

Andie: Of course, I'd be more than happy to help.