7. SEPTEMBER 20th, THE PYE HOUSE

ANDIE is considerably more guarded, sat opposite JOSIE and TILLIE. Gloves have remained on, she is sat straight backed in a chair, smiling politely. 

Tillie: Jane thinks you're a riot.

Andie: Oh? That's very kind of her. How long have you known one another?

Tillie: Since we were born really.

Josie: Our mothers are all friends.

ANDIE nods. There is a long silence. 

I can't believe you had tea at the Andrew's. I've always found their parlour quite...cosy.

Andie: It was very cosy. It was very pleasant actually, you don't like the Andrews?

Josie: Of course, I do.

Tillie: Particularly Billy Andrews, isn't that right Josie?

Josie: Shut your gossiping mouth, Tillie Boulter. I hardly think of Billy Andrews, let alone like him.

ANDIE smirks.

It's just, do you know, Jane's mother thinks a woman's education is just as important as a man's!

JOSIE and TILLIE fall about laughing. ANDIE can only blink.

You don't think that's laughable, Miss Andraya?

Andie: Well, no I don't think that's laughable at all.

Josie: But women's and men's roles are different, don't you agree?

Andie: I think people try to perpetuate that view, yes, but no I don't agree. 

Tillie: What does it mean, to perpetuate?

Josie: To spread.

Andie: It means to continue with something, a viewpoint or agenda. For example, I could perpetuate the view that cake is better than chocolate.

Tillie: Ooh, I think it rather depends on what kind of cake we are discussing.

Josie: Hush Tillie, I don't want to talk about that. 

TILLIE hushes, looking awkward.

So, pray tell, Miss Andraya. What should be the role of men and women?

ANDIE knows she is on shaky ground but sits up straight, smiling pleasantly. 

Andie: Won't you share your view first?

Josie: My view is the view of any respectable young lady. Women are house-proud and men are business-proud. Women rear children, and men pay for them. 

Andie: And what if your husband is not a very good husband?

Josie: Oh, I needn't worry about that. I shall be marrying well.

Andie: Everyone who marries, thinks they are marrying well, surely.

There is a stalemate between JOSIE and ANDIE. One that TILLIE is oblivious too. 

Tillie: I also hope to marry, decently.

Josie: My husband shall be a man's man. Who knows his role and takes it seriously. 

Andie: What if he's bad with money?

Josie: He shan't be bad with money.

Andie: How will you know? Will you demand to see his finances prior to signing the registery? What if you're better with numbers than he is? Don't you think that whoever is best at a job should do it?

Josie: Well -

Andie: Did you know, when babies are forming in the womb that it is the difference of a chromosome whether they are a boy or a girl?

Tillie: What is a chromosome?

Andie: It's a scientific term, I don't rightly know, but what I do know is that boys and girls are born with the almost all the same limbs, the same organs, the same brains. The trouble is how we are raised, how we are taught to think, how we are taught to behave and that is the difference between men and women. Men are taught they were born to be educated, to make decisions and to make money. Women are taught they were born to obey, to give birth and clean. I mean, really, what a load of –

Just then there is a knock. GILBERT is at the door. ANDIE stands immediately. She knows she has let herself go too far. JOSIE's eyes are shining. 

Maid: Miss Norman, Mr Blythe is here for you.

Gilbert: Hello, apologies for the intrusion, only it's gone five. Myself and Miss Norman should make our way home.

Josie: Thank you Roberta. Hello Gilbert.

Gilbert: Miss Pye, Miss Boulter.

Tillie: Hello Gilbert.

Josie: Thank you for joining us for tea, Miss Andie.

Andie: Thank you very much for having me. And may I apologise about my...my outburst just then. I misspoke.

Tillie: That's quite alright, isn't it Josie? I actually found it exceedingly rousing. Although I wasn't sure I quite understood everything you said.

Josie: I thought it was a load of nonsense.

Andie: Thank you for keeping my feet on the ground, Josie. Will I see you again?

Josie: I'm sure we can arrange something soon.

ANDIE curtsies and follows ROBERTA out of the house, cursing at herself.