15. 1898 JANUARY-FEBRUARY

The Blythe House. ANDIE in the kitchen, stirring the fire. GILBERT walks in.

Gilbert: Hello.

Andie: Hiya, tea?

Gilbert: Please. Although you might need to make three cups.

Andie: John is back already? I thought he was doing business in the states?

Gilbert: No, a certain someone seems to be taking advantage of father being gone for a short time and is hovering near our gate...I think he's plucking up the courage to knock.

ANDIE frowns before looking out the window and spotting ELIJAH. GILBERT finds the whole thing very amusing.

He hid behind a bush as I approached.

Andie: What a weirdo. How long do you think he's been out there?

Gilbert: A few hours I expect.

Andie: Ridiculous. Why didn't he just knock?

Gilbert: Because it'd be inappropriate, that's why. He's not even asked my father if he can court you yet.

Andie: He has to ask before he can "court" me? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Gilbert: Things aren't like that where you're from?

Andie: Absolutely not, but I wouldn't like to scare you. What do I do?

Gilbert: I think you should go out there and ask for him to walk with you a little while. Dress warm though. I'll make tea.

Andie: Have I ever told you you're my favourite not-cousin-cousin?

Gilbert: I'm your only not-cousin-cousin.

ANDIE smiles, kissing him on the cheek and opening the door and walking towards the drive way.

Elijah: Oh, Miss Norman!

Andie: Mr Johnston. What a surprise!

Elijah: I was just – uh – mm – I was just – are you on your way out?

Andie: I was just about to go for a walk, I like the air when it's fresh and cold. Would you like to join me?

Elijah: Oh, I wouldn't like to impose.

Andie: It would be no imposition.

Elijah: Well, I'd like that very much.

ANDIE and ELIJAH start to walk, neither speaking at first.

Andie: How long have you been hiding behind that bush?

ELIJAH flushes and laughs. ANDIE smiles.

You silly goose.

Elijah: Oh, it's not funny, it's terrible really – I wanted to ask you to go for a walk with me this morning but before I could knock I became nervous, I stayed awhile, then went home for lunch, then promised myself I'd come back and knock but still...

Andie: Why should you have been nervous? You would've been just knocking for me.

Elijah: Knocking for you, exactly Miss Norman. You, you make me nervous.