14. CHRISTMAS EVE

A grand Christmas ball. The room is bustling with people, dressed in fantastic gowns and suits with drinks in hand. ANDIE is stood with the choir, in her red dress, singing a solo. 

Andie: Long lay the world in sin and ever pining til he appeared and the soul felt its worth.

THE CHOIR continue to sing with her.

Choir: A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices. For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. fall on your knees, o hear the angles voices. Oh night divine, o night when Christ was born. A night divine, o night, o night divine.

Everybody claps. MRS LYNDE is most pleased. The choir dissipates. ANDIE is immediately caught by MRS LYNDE.

Mrs Lynde: Well done, fabulous. Fabulous.

ANDIE is flushed. She goes immediately to GILBERT and holds his arm, embarrassed.

Gilbert: That was fantastic, you were fantastic.

MAGGIE-MAY is crossing the space to approach them. MAGGIE-MAY says nice things but she isn't being particularly nice.

Maggie-May: That was...beautiful, Andraya. Well done, you.

Andie: Thank you. I thought you sang very well also.

Maggie-May: Oh, you could hardly hear me, I sang so quietly I'm sure.

MAGGIE-MAY does a sweep of the room with her eyes. She finds the person she is looking for in the corner, watching them: ELIJAH. ELIJAH averts his eyes when MAGGIE-MAY looks so as not to make eye-contact. MAGGIE-MAY turns back to ANDIE.

Did I tell you how wonderful you look in your dress?

Andie: Yes, Maggie-May. Three times. And three times I have thanked you. You also look wonderful.

Maggie-May: I wore this last year.  

MAGGIE-MAY looks again at ELIJAH, now examining the wall, and sighs.

Well, I interrupted. I shall see you later in the evening.

MAGGIE-MAY leaves and ANDIE turns back to GILBERT, widening her eyes. She speaks quietly.

Andie: Fuckin hell.

Gilbert: She's harmless.

Andie: She thinks I'm trying to steal her man. Like, no thank you, I've not 99 problems and a guy ain't one.

Gilbert: What?

Andie: It's a song from...from the future. A rap song. Do you guys have rap?

GILBERT shakes his head. ANDIE has a lot of nervous energy. He puts two hands on her shoulders, she looks at him and takes a deep breath.

Thanks.

He hands her a glass of punch and she takes a sip. 

Gilbert: Did you used to sing, before?

ANDIE shrugs.

Andie: Honestly...when I was little...I used to sing and dance all the time. Then I just...stopped.

Gilbert: What happened?

Andie: My - uh - my father died. I've never really thought about it like that but - it makes sense on the timeline.

Gilbert: You never told me about your father. I mean, you never talk about him. I just assumed you weren't close.

Andie: Well. We were.