Chapter 3: New Beginnings

Jake arrived home about 1:00 in the afternoon on Sunday.

"Mommy!" He squealed as he ran into my arms with his face messy from lunch.

"Hi sugar! Did you have a blast?" I asked, and he nodded enthusiastically.

"Sorry he is a mess, we grabbed lunch on the way, and I didn't have a way to clean him up," James stated.

"No problem, I'll get it," I said. I looked into James' eyes, and I could tell he was nervous about something. "What's wrong, James?"

"Nothing is wrong. I, uh, I...just thought you should know that I met someone," he said with pain in his eyes.

My heart twitched a little. Not because I was still in love with James, but for the last 10 years, I was the one James was with. I loved him, sure, but I loved him as the father of my son. "I'm happy for you. Is it serious?" I asked with a smile.

"It could be. I, uh, I was hoping she could meet Jake next weekend. I know it is your weekend with Jake, but we were planning a trip to the aquarium in Tulsa. I was hoping he could come."

My mind was spinning. I couldn't stand to bear the thought of another woman possibly mothering my son. But, I have no say in James' life. "I think that would be okay. But, please be cautious about bringing people into Jake's life, James."

"I understand, Kendra. I wouldn't have brought it up if I knew it this relationship wouldn't go anywhere. Thank you for understanding. I was nervous to tell you." James said pulling his John Deere cap off and running his hand through his dark hair.

"James, I have no say in your life unless it impacts our son. And clearly this decision affects him, and I thank you for telling me. I trust you, you're a great father. And besides, you have great taste in women," I said with a wink.

James chuckled and said, "I do. Thanks again." He gave Jake a hug and told him to be good and walked out to his truck.

For the rest of the afternoon, Jake and I snuggled on the couch and watched cartoons and ate popcorn. Around 5:00 my phone dinged, and the blue light started flashing. I smiled and grabbed my phone, unaware until that moment that I was anxiously awaiting to hear from Chris.

C: Good afternoon. How are you?

K: I'm doing wonderfully. My son came back from his dad's a few hours ago, and we're enjoying a relaxing Sunday. How are you?

C: I'm good. Been thinking about you and was hoping I could call you tonight after the show. It'd be late, so I understand if not.

My heart starting racing, and I smiled a bit.

K: Call anytime. Actually, late is good because my son would be asleep.

C: Awesome! Can't wait to hear your voice.

K: I should be the one saying that. You're the one with the amazing voice.

C: Ha. Thanks. :) Call you soon.

K: I'll be waiting.

I put my phone on the table and went to the kitchen to cook dinner. After dinner, I gave Jake a bath, read him a story, and put him to bed.

"Mommy?" Jake said as I was leaving his room.

"Yeah, Sugar?" I looked to his bed.

"You'll always be my mommy, even if Daddy has a new girlfriend, right?"