Chapter 6: Alone Time

I awoke at 7:00 and quietly dressed into some workout gear. I tiptoed to my basement, where the larger family room, laundry room, 3rd bathroom, and 4th bedroom are located.

I turned the 55" TV to CMT and listened to music videos as I ran 3 miles on the treadmill located in the family room. Afterwards, I sat on the floor to do complete an abdominal workout when I heard the guest bedroom door open. I quickly ran upstairs.

"I'm sorry if woke you," I said brushing my forehead with a towel.

"No, you didn't," Chris stared at me.

"Uh, so, I can show you the rest of the house if you'd like," I said feeling his gaze on me.

After giving Chris the tour of my home, we went back to the kitchen. "Coffee?"

"Sure," Chris said, sliding into a dining room chair.

"Sugar, milk?" I asked.

"Just sugar is fine."

I poured his coffee and poured myself a glass of orange juice.

"No coffee for you?" Chris asked.

"No, I'm not a coffee drinker. I keep some for when my parents visit. My dad loves his morning coffee."

Chris smiled and took a sip.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked.

"I slept well. I am so sorry for falling asleep last night. I didn't realize how tired I was," Chris said with a hint of embarrassment.

"It's totally fine," I smiled and finished my orange juice. "Still interested in the craft fair? It's hosted at the school where I completed my undergraduate degree. I'd love to show you around."

"That sounds amazing."

"Okay, well I think I'll take a quick shower, and we can go."

"Yea, I'll do the same."

After showering, I put on a pair dark denim skinny jeans and a red sweater. I pulled on a pair of dark gray boots and zipped them up over my pants.

Thanks to my mother, I have some natural wave to my hair, so I ran some mousse through my hair and left it to air dry. I applied a little foundation, light eyeshadow, and mascara.

I walked out to Chris sitting my couch in jeans, boots, a Texas longhorns t-shirt, and a baseball cap. I smiled at him on my way towards the couch.

"You couldn't get any prettier, I swear," Chris said, kissing me on the cheek.

"Thanks," I blushed. "You ready?"

As I drove to the college where the fair was held, Chris was intrigued by the old limestone buildings and quaint feeling that my small town offered. "We have a WalMart, a grocery store, several banks and gas stations, a few fast food places and a couple of family owned diners, and of course, a college," I said with pride. Even though I didn't grow up here, I fell in love with the town while attending college. I moved away after getting married to James to attend graduate school and obtain my doctorate. James and I both missed it and decided to move back and buy a home.

"It's a really nice town," Chris said.

Before entering the fair, I showed Chris the campus where I attended college. The campus was also adorned with beautiful limestone buildings and a brand new football stadium. He made eye contact with me and smiled.

We entered the field house where the fair was held, and I said, "I spent many hours in this gym. No air conditioning and sweating my ass off."

"Volleyball, I'm assuming?"