Chapter 11: Just Another Day in Paradise

Spring has been in the air for a couple of weeks, and it's now the end up April. The week before, I talked to James about Chris coming and meeting Jake. James was supportive and planned to keep Jake the following night while Chris and I went to meet my parents.

Chris was supposed to arrive at my house at 7:00. He offered to pay the cab expense from the airport, so I could spend more time at home with Jake before he arrived.

"Jake, hunny, mommy's friend Chris will be here soon. I just wanted to let you know that I love you very much, and your Daddy loves you too. I want you to meet Chris because he might see us a lot, and I know you'll like him. And I know he will like you!"

"Is he your boyfriend?" Jake asked bluntly.

"Yes, sugar, I guess he is."

Jake nodded and went to his room to pick up his toys. Okay. That was easy.

Chris arrived at 7:05, paid the cab, and grabbed his bag. He saw me in the doorway and smiled. I waved as Jake clung to my leg, staring at Chris.

Chris kissed me on the cheek and set down his bag. Then, he got down on a knee and said, "You must be Jake. My name is Chris. I hear you take good care of your mommy," Chris said as reached his hand out for Jake to shake.

Jake's chest swelled with pride, "Yup," Jake said shaking Chris' hand.

"I brought something for you. If it's okay with your mom, I'd love to give it to you now."

Jake looked at me with big, round, expecting eyes.

"Of course," I said smiling.

Chris rummaged in his bag and pulled a medium sized box with blue wrapping paper and a silver bow, which was a little smashed from the trip.

Jake eyes widened as he took the box. "Thank you," he said quietly. He quickly opened the wrapping paper and squealed with delight. "Ninja Turtle Legos! How'd you know I wanted these?" He said looking up at Chris.

Chris chuckled and ruffled Jake's hair. "What do you say, Jake?" I instructed.

"Thank you. It's my favorite," Jake said.

"Are you guys hungry?" I asked.

"I'm starved," Chris said, wrapping me in a hug. "This is okay, right?"

I glanced over at my son who was engrossed in his new toy. I smiled at Chris. "It's more than okay," I said deepening the hug. "Thank you for that. It means a lot to me that you two connect."

"I missed you," Chris rumbled in my ear.

"Mmm, I missed you too." Just then the beeper on my oven went off. "Dinner is ready," I said pulling from Chris' embrace.

"Wanna play?" I heard Jake asking Chris as I grabbed an oven mitt. I pulled the chicken casserole from the oven and set it on the stove to cool then went to set the table. I looked over at Chris sitting on the floor with my son playing legos, and my heart filled with so emotion. I was staring at the two men in my life when Chris looked up at me. He gave a sultry, half smile and winked. I blushed and turned to grab the glasses.

"Jake, do want milk or juice?

"Milk," Jake called back without looking up.

"Chris? Wine? Or I have some tea."

"Wine for me."

I placed the salad, the croissants, ranch dressing, and the butter on the table. I then scooped casserole onto each plate before placing them on the table.