Chapter 5: I'm Coming Over

It seemed to take forever for Friday to arrive. At 4:00, I said goodbye to my last patient of the day and clicked off my computer. I loved being able to treat my patients via Webcam and work from home. It made it so I could spend more time with Jake. I went to the kitchen to prepare a snack for Jake and I. Then, I went to pack Jake's clothes for the weekend.

I started to get a knot in my stomach. Jake is going to see another woman with his father. I wondered if I should say something to him, but I thought I would leave it up to James.

At 5:20, James arrived to get Jake. Jake gave him the usual, excited greeting.

"How was your week?" I asked.

"It was pretty slow. It always is this time of year," he said.

"Listen, James. I think that you should talk to Jake about tomorrow before you go. I think it would help prepare him."

"Okay. I will. Big plans for the weekend?"

"I actually have a friend flying into town tonight," I said cautiously, looking into his green eyes.

"Hmm. Sounds fun. Is this someone serious?" he asked catching my drift.

"It's nothing yet. Just getting to know each other," I said with a weak smile. It was strange to have this conversation with the man I spent 10 years with. If it weren't for Jake, our love lives would be of no concern for the other person.

"Well, have fun and be careful," he said.

"You too. I love you Jake. Be good," I said to my son, who was playing with a hotwheel.

"Bye mommy," Jake said.

After Jake left, I picked up the toys from the living room floor and loaded the dishwasher. Then, I went to the bathroom and applied foundation, neutral shimmer eyeshadow, eyeliner, and a couple of swipes of mascara. Then, I placed my hair in a messy bun with a few strands framing my face. I topped my look off with a pair of large, diamond earrings. Fake diamonds of course. Then, I threw on a pair of jeans and a blue v-neck t-shirt.

At 6:05, I grabbed my keys, stepped into a black pair of flats, and walked out to my car. I wonder what Chris will think of my mom car. I thought as I looked at my 2015 Ford Edge. It was an hour drive to the airport, so I didn't have a whole lot of extra time.

One the way, I tried to keep my mind busy. I was getting very anxious as I approached Wichita. Of course, it didn't help matters when Chris' song, "I'm Coming Over" came on the radio. I smiled to myself and listened intently to the deep rumble if his voice. It is so easy to get lost in the sound. I kept thinking how amazing it would be to listen to that every day.

I arrived at the airport just as Chris texted stating that he had landed. I pulled up to his terminal and saw him standing with his bag. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a gray shirt, and a black leather coat. He looked incredible. I got out and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"You look beautiful," he said as he looked into my eyes.

His gaze was so intense and sincere, it was hard to look away. "Thank you. You look incredible yourself."

Chris smiled, and I opened the back door for his bag.

"Where would you like to eat?" I asked as I pulled away. "I'm starving."

"Me too. Is there a good steakhouse nearby?"

"Actually, there's a Texas Roadhouse at this next exit," I said weaving through traffic.

"Wonderful."

Chris ordered a Bud Light, and I asked for a Long Island iced tea. We munched on peanuts and bread as we waited on our steaks to arrive.

"Thanks so much for this, Kendra. I'm really looking forward to this wekend."

"So am I," I looked into his sultry gaze and felt a tightening in my chest. He smiled and his dimples appeared through the neatly trimmed beard. "I was thinking that tomorrow we could walk to through the local craft fair. It's a pretty big event. They're hosting it at the college this year. Sorry, not a lot to do in my small town."

"That sounds great, actually. Maybe I'll find something for my sister and niece."

I grinned. "You're very thoughtful. I find that very attractive." What has gotten into me? I'm flirting!

Chris smiled shyly. "I think you're very attractive. You don't find too many beautiful women, who are also smart and down to earth like you.

I blushed and looked at my hands. "Thank you."

"Ahh, there's that blushing you talked about. I mean it, Kendra, I'm fascinated by you."

I looked up then, and Chris had a look of genuineness and sincerity in his eyes.

After arguing about who would pay for dinner, I finally gave in and let Chris pick up the tab. Then, we began the hour trip back to my house.

In the car, Chris was struggling to stay awake. "I'm so sorry, Kendra. We were up late from a show and busy today with interviews."

"Chris, seriously, it's fine. Take a nap," I said.

It didn't take much convincing. Chris was asleep within seconds, but not before he reached over and grabbed my hand and held it gently is his.

While I drove, I listened to the radio. It was playing very softly, and I could hear the slow inhales and exhales coming from the seat next to me. About 5 miles from home, Miranda Lambert's, "Over You," came over the speakers. Without thinking, I softly sang the lines, "but you went away, how dare you. I miss you." At that moment, I felt a soft squeeze of my hand. Oh God. I could die right now. Shit!

"Please, keep singing," Chris said, sitting up a little in his seat.

"I am not singing in front you!" I said with a smile.

"You just did."

"It was an accident," I said jokingly. "Besides, we're here." I pulled into my driveway and turned off the engine.

"This is a beautiful home," Chris said admiring my house as we walked in.

"Thank you. This room is Jake's room. This is mine. And this is the one you'll stay in. Bathroom is across the hall. I can give you the rest of the tour tomorrow. I'll let you get some rest," I kissed him on the cheek and closed the door to my bedroom.