Chapter 16: Surprise

I flew into Nashville on Saturday morning, and Chris' dad, Mike, picked me up from the airport. He drove us to their house, and I hugged Becky and kissed her on the cheek. As I entered the house, I saw a tall blonde woman about my age. She smiled at me, and I knew right away it was Chris' sister. She introduced herself as Dot and called for her daughter to come into the room.

"Rebecca, this is Bubba's girlfriend, Kendra
Can you please tell her 'hello'?"

"Hi," she said softly leaning into her mother.

"Hi, sweetheart, " I said. "So, you're the one that your uncle talks about all of the time. I can see why. You sure are cute."

She smiled and nodded her head as we all chuckled.

"Listen, Kendra is here to surprise your Uncle Bubba. So, you cannot tell him that she is here okay?"

"Okay," Rebecca said and ran back to play in the other room.

I went into the guest bedroom to hide my suitcase and clean up. I curled my hair and applied makeup. Then, I slipped into a pair of skinny jeans and a pair of black flats. I threw on a navy blue blouse.

When I came out of the room around 2:00, I saw Becky preparing a vegetable tray for the party.

"Can I help?" I asked.

"Sure, you can take over here, and I will start preparing the hamburger patties for the grill."

I grabbed the cucumber and knife from her and began slicing pieces. I moved to the broccoli and cauliflower next. Dot came in and began to organize the table with paper plates, napkins, and cups.

Dot and I finished our duties around the same time, and we began to hang balloons and steamers. We hung about 3 balloons when Mike came running into the room.

"Kendra, quick, go! Chris just pulled up."

My eyes grew wide as I dropped the balloon I was holding and ran to the guest room and closed the door. A minute later, I heard the sliding glass door to the kitchen open, and Becky say, "Bubba, you're not supposed to be here yet."

"I know, but I came by to see if you guys needed any help," Chris' deep voice echoed through the house. "Plus, I wanted to see Dot and Rebecca."

Just then I heard little footsteps running through the house. "Uncle Bubba!" Rebecca yelled out to Chris with so much delight, I couldn't help but smile at the love this family showed for each other. They reminded me so much of my own family.

"Hey princess, what have you been doing?"

"Nothing. There is a surprise for you," she said. "But, I'm not supposed to say what it is."

I put my head in my hands. My surprise was about to be ruined by a 5 year old.

"Oh really, well I guess I'll just have to wait," Chris said. I let out a sigh of relief as Chris changed the subject. "So, how many people are coming?" he asked.

"Oh, I figured about 25 or so," Becky stated.

"I wanted Kendra to make it so badly, but she has a conference for work. I was hoping Dot could meet her, and Granny and Pawpaw." My heart swelled at the mention of my name.

"She's a career woman, Chris. You can't blame her for it. You, of all people, should know that," Mike said.

"I know, and I do understand. I'm not mad about it, just bummed, I guess," Chris said.

They talked a little more about the guests, and Chris finally left to get changed for the party.

I walked out of the room, and everyone busted up laughing.