Chapter 2: Hopes and Possibilities

It wasn't long ago since I married into the Gaunt family. I knew the implications of it all, the risks, the silence. I knew that this was a loveless relationship. I knew that Ominis will never see me as anything else but his wife, a woman forced to marry him. But that's just marriage in our families. Marriage was just a legal arrangement that was done to continue the bloodline. The idea of love was often what came later...or sometimes not at all.

Love. Love was the four letter word I've never heard from anyone, and yet I longed for it. The feeling of warmth, safety and...home. I wanted that. My parents say that, that was a mere muggle idea. Love was when father would lecture us when we were disobedient. Love was when our husbands did whatever means necessary to keep us loyal. Love was when we take in the pain for others.

A soft swoosh emerged from below the door, causing me to turn back and look at the envelope laying on the floor. It was from Ominis.

"Family banquet tonight,"

This was how we communicated. Envelopes. No words spoken. We never spoke in fact. Not during supper, never. It was either owls or envelopes under doors. It's funny what loving the wrong person does. What a beautiful, horrible world I live in.

~~~
The banquet was held by my family. It was a chance for Ominis to acquaint the rest of my family, further interlocking the Gaunts and my family's relations.

Everything about it was seen through tainted glasses. Everyone smiled happily. Wives stuck around their husbands quietly. I was not going to stand for it.

"How is my daughter going?" My father asked, ignoring me entirely.

"I'm doing fine, father," I replied.

My mother shot a glare at me while she let out a fake smile.

"She's doing just fine, sir," Ominis spoke.

My father smiled at his response while sending me a glare.

I continued to speak up for myself, answering questions addressed to me, just as how it's meant to be. There was no way I was going to sit around and watch my husband converse.

Eventually, all the questions became directed at Ominis. Often they teased the way I acted as his wife. I realised then how humiliating that must have been for Ominis. Soon enough, I decided to shut myself out completely.

The moved as though I never existed. Everyone around me chattered. I was there, and I sat there. Funny how much fun Ominis is having compared to me.

I quietly left my post and walked out to the balcony that overlooked the mountain side of Scotland. I stretched my hand out, yearning, reaching for those peaks and past those. I reached out to the nothingness filled with possibilities and hope. I reached out for freedom.

"Y/n!" my mum's voice echoed from behind me.

I swiftly turned around only to be met by a hard slap on my face. It was for the same reason as 2 years ago.

"You- you disobedient child!" She screamed angrily.

My eyes glared at the stone floors, never looking up. If I look up they would fall. If I look up I'd be weak, If I look up I would fail.

"What a rude brat! You left your husband there..."

Right, my...husband. I married him for love. He married me for convenience. He left me before I ever could. He left me on the day I was married to him.

"The Gaunt's are of high status, and here you are embarrassing our name..."

Embarrassing. I was embarrassing. I am humiliating. I knew those words. They were the same words used to describe me by Ominis Gaunt too.

"Being around you is...it's humiliating! Embarrassing even!" Ominis grumbled as he left me in the Undercroft alone.

I had just told him I loved him...I told him before I planned to say goodbye.

Don't. Don't let the tears fall now.

"You better be grateful that your husband doesn't realise you're missing, otherwise you'll really embarrass our family," my mother spat.

I saw her arm move to throw another swing, but no impact was felt. As I looked up, Ominis Gaunt stood in front of me. His hand stopped my mother's hand from slapping my face.

"Do not...touch her," he grumbled before letting go of her arm.

The room fell silent as the tears began to flow down my cheeks. My husband came. How...humiliating. I left out soft sniffles, as I tried to contain myself, but failing to do so.

"Y/n and I will be taking our leave," Ominis spoke before grabbing a hold of my arm and pulling me out of the home.

As we exited, Ominis' hand gently cupped my cheeks, wiping the tears, and trailing down to my waist.

"Did she do anything else?" Ominis asked.

That would probably be the first time Ominis Gaunt addressed me after our marriage. He spoke to me the same way he spoke to me all those years ago.

It was after the summer break, we returned back to Hogwarts. I came back after the realisation of my fucked up family. The first time it was cast on me.

My body trembled at the mere memory of it. I struggled to even mutter a word.

"Did they use the curse on you too?" Ominis asked. "Squeeze my hand if it's a yes,"

And I squeezed his hand. I squeezed it while sobbed on his shoulder. It hurt. That was an understatement, but it hurt.

"Did they do anything else?"

This time, I didn't squeeze his hand. I stood still as I slowly gathered myself.

It was there that I saw hope in this marriage. I figured that perhaps there was a possibility that this marriage could indeed work. The Ominis that cared for me still exists, somewhere in his heart he chose to care.

~~~
Note: I'm doing a complete rewrite