Chapter 4: The Things We Missed

Ominis' POV
I remembered it well. It was on the day of my wedding. I was shaky, and nervous. I was to be married to my best friend, the person I've always had affection for.

Sebastian stood in front of me, fixing my tie. "You look nervous," he chuckled awkwardly.

"I am," I admitted.

Silence fell between us. An awkward, but comfortable silence. All I could hear was the shuffling of my tie as Sebastian continued fix it.

"Do you love her," Sebastian asked.

I scoffed, almost chuckled at the stupidity of that question. Do I love her? Of course I do.

"She's convinced that you hate her, you know? But she loves you...nonetheless,"

I love her. Of course I do! But yet, I struggled to say yes to Sebastian's question. It was true. Y/n made my heart skip a beat, I yearned for her touch, but I couldn't get myself to forgive her for making constantly worry.

"I've always wanted to know...what was your relationship with my sister?"

My hands crunched into a ball, at the mention of Anne. I hated this. I cared for Anne, I worried for Anne, I loved her...but to what extent? She never made my heart flutter, but she made me feel comfortable. I found it hard to build a barrier to separate between platonic or romantic feelings.

"I love Y/n. Whatever love means,"

Sebastian scoffed as he gently pushed me back.

"No. Don't do this. Not to her," Sebastian spoke, almost laughing in pain. "Y-you can't do this to Y/n. Do you know all the shit she would do...for you?"

Yes. I knew. I hated it. I hated the way she'd constantly sacrifice herself for everyone else. What makes her think so little of herself? How can she willingly sacrifice herself, as if I wouldn't cry and suffer if anything were to happen.

"It's my sister...isn't it?" Sebastian questioned.

"I don't know, Sebastian. I don't. Y/n makes my heart skip a beat. I worry for her constantly, I cannot imagine my life without Y/n," I explained. "I want to marry her,"

I could feel Sebastian's annoyed stare as I placed a kiss on my wife's lips. I married her, just like I said.

Now, as she coddled up to my chest, trembling and covered in tears, I realised why I've never been able to let Y/n go.

Even as I was introduced to Anne Sallow, Amalie Goyle, and other maidens, I knew I could never settle. Not unless I had Y/n.

Y/n and I were just the same. We understood each other in ways that other people wouldn't. I would go as far as saying, Y/n and I are destined lovers, our stories written in the stars years before we even met.

~~~
Later that week, we were met with an unexpected surprise. Sebastian Sallow had come to visit.

Sebastian and I sat in the living room, an awkward silence befell upon us. Y/n was off to prepare the tea, and the memory of that day played in my head.

"I hope- I hope that you have found it in your heart. Your love for Y/n," Sebastian spoke. I heard his palms rub against each other, easing out his anxiety.

"I love her. I do," I admitted, more confidently than before.

"Good," Sebastian sighed.

"But now I do question...what was your relationship with Y/n?"

Sebastian froze at the sudden question. I sensed a shift in mood as the couch creaked, suggesting he had moved slightly.

"Oh come on, you can't tell me nothing happened. Not when you spent time with her...daily. Comforted her when I couldn't," I scoffed.