Chapter 10: Fears

Y/n

For most of the day, Ominis was quiet in his own office. It almost felt like we were back to ground zero all over again. I tried to remind myself that Ominis did like having time for himself, but as each day came and went, I was becoming more anxious. Mornings were quiet, Nights were quieter.

"Ominis, what is it? You're quieter than ever and I'm...confused," I whispered that night as I stared at him. Ominis had his back leaning on the counter top, as he faced the wall, thinking. "Just let me be," he replied calmly. "I can't just-," I began.

"Do you know how hard it is to worry about you all the time?!" He questioned in almost a yell.

I have been yelled at multiple times before, and getting yelled at was my biggest weakness. It was the one thing that makes the tears fall, even if they didn't mean to yell.

I flinched back from the loudness of his voice. I bit my lip as a way to stop the falling tears before apparating away.

~~~~
Ominis Gaunt

My heart dropped as I heard the whooshing sound of Y/n apparating away. I didn't mean to yell. I didn't mean to. I was so stuck in my own head, and I just yelled it out...at her. 

Out of fear and worry, I remembered that one night when I swore I would never yell at her again.

~Sixth Year Hogwarts~
For some odd reason, I just couldn't get myself to sleep. Sebastian and my other roommates were already off snoring, while I just kept twisting and turning, unable to get some good night's rest.

Out of the blue, I heard furniture and porcelain glasses moving from outside. It was then, where I decided to take a midnight stroll.

I exited the room with my wand out, sensing and looking for the person responsible for the noise, this late at night. There, I could smell her perfume. I sensed her presence. Y/n.

"What in Godric's name are you doing up?" I asked in a whisper. "Oh- I- Ominis. I was just-," she began. "You smell like...the forbidden...forest?" I questioned, unsure of what I was picking up on.

"Uh...yeah Sebastian and I-," she said as she tried to excuse herself, but I was getting increasingly annoyed at the fact that she was going to hide it from me. "Sebastian's fast asleep. So what in heavens name were you doing?" I intervened. "Why do you even care Ominis?" She scoffed. "Do you know how annoying it is to be constantly ignored? I worry about you every time!" I exclaimed, enraged.

The room went quiet. I paused and tried to reach out to her, but I just couldn't feel her presence. I heard the table move again as she whimpered.

"What's going o- Y/n are you okay?" Sebastian voice echoed from the boys dorms. His footsteps got louder as he got closer.

"It's fine, just a few-," Y/n replied, in pain.

My heart sank as I heard her response. "You need the nurse, Y/n that looks...," Sebastian gasped. A few What? The nurse.

"W-what's happening?" I asked in shocked. "Omi...," she breathed before I felt her weight on my arms, her warmth slowly getting colder.

"Sebastian, what's happening," I asked in pure fear. "Get her to the infirmary now. It's faster if you go," I ordered as my arm felt her drenched uniform...her bloodied uniform.

When the two disappeared, my heartbeat quickened, as my hands shook. My hands now covered in her blood. I felt the tears flow down my cheeks. I shouldn't have yelled at her. I should have noticed that she was in pain, I should have asked if she was okay. Even worse is that I couldn't help her. I couldn't save her.
~~~

I felt my heartbeat quicken at the vivid memory of her. My hands trembled once again, remembering her blood on my hands.

I tried to calm down, tell myself that she's much safer now. No forbidden forest, no cuts, nothing. Not until I heard a loud thump from upstairs.

"Y/n?" I called out as I quickly made my way upstairs. "Y/n, I'm opening the door," I called out again before casting Alohamora to the locked door.

As soon as I opened the door, I heard her painful wails much louder. I found her on the ground shaking in pain as she whimpered and whined. "Y/n," I gasped as I pulled her to my lap. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to I-," I began, but was interrupted by her pained scream as she grabbed onto my arm. "Omi...," she muttered.

My heart dropped at the mention of my name, feeling her quiver at my touch made it all worse. Tears began flowing down my cheek as I managed to carry her in my arms and onto the bed.

I found myself holding her tighter, knowing that there was nothing else I could do but wait it out. I whispered 'I'm sorry's' and 'I love you's' as she continued to wail in pain, grasping onto me as she shivered.

"Ominis," she sobbed. "It's okay, you're okay," I whispered as I placed kisses on her head. I continued to place kissed on her head, down to her cheek and to her neck, any way to distract her from the pain. I had remembered that distracting Anne by making her laugh had worked a few times.

Within a few minutes, Y/n's breathing slowed down, she no longer shivered, and she slowly calmed down. "Feeling better?" I asked as my lips gently grazed her skin. She hummed in response as she took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry, my love," I whispered as I hugged her tighter. "I shouldn't have yelled at you,"

Y/n was quiet, but I could feel her jolt back as she sniffled. How awful, not only did I cause her pain, but I made her cry too. I quickly let her go before I sat up to recollect myself. I swore I wouldn't do it again, but yet here I am.

I felt her hand on my back as the bed dipped next to me. "It's okay Omi, I'm sorry if I make you worry all the time," she sighed before she leaned her head on my shoulder. "If alone time is what you need, then I shall give you space. But that does not mean that I am not here to aid when it gets overwhelming. Whatever it is you worry about, I am sure we can find a solution,"

I smiled at the sound of her comforting voice. I found myself holding onto her again, as if I was scared to ever lose her again. I craved her warmth more than anything, her warmth that gives me such comfort. "I love you," I whispered. "I was scared about what my family could do to you. I mean, you know about Corvus, and I can't lose you too. I am scared to lose you. I nearly did, and I cannot go through that again,"

I felt her soft lips on our wedding ring as Y/n held onto my hand, holding it against her face. "Let's put all the what-if's aside for now, we'll deal with it when we get there, okay?" She sighed before placing a kiss on my cheek. "We'll be okay,"

We'll be okay indeed. I'll be okay for as long as I am by her side.