Chapter 2

**Stacey**

First day of school. Always the easiest for me. As I walk down the hall I take a moment to see all the people I grew up with. They have changed so much. Gone off on the deep end. Half of them will graduate. But only half of that half will go on to college. And out of that half only 2 will make something of their life.

I plan on being in that two. I'm the top runner for valedictorian. And I will succeed in what I do. I stopped at my locker to organize it for this year. I was so graciously blessed to have my locker right next to Antwan James and his best friend Cooper Hodge.

I quickly walked away when I saw them walking in my direction. I curved around the corner and ran smack into Evette Allen. The most popular girl here. She was destined to become a trophy wife. Antwan's trophy wife. She had an iced coffee and it got all over me.

"Watch where you going Bush."

That's what they call me. Due to all the hair on top of my head.

"I'm so sorry Evette."

"Move outta my way."

I put my head down and walked quickly to my first period. I sat down in the front center desk. Pulled out my notebook, planner, a red pen, blue pen, black pen, three pencils an eraser and a highlighter.

"Hey girl." said Sydney. My best friend since the third grade.

"You have this class?"

"Yes girl."

"Good need somebody I know."

"I'm gonna sit in the back. Come with?"

"No maybe next time."

"Wait for me after school today."

"Okay."

1st hour and 2nd hour went by with ease. I headed to third period and found a seat front and center. It was AP English IV one of the toughest English classes in the high school world. After I pulled out all of my supplies I looked up to see Antwan walking in and heading to the back silently. Surely he was mistaken and was in the wrong class.

I turned to look at him and he just sat down and looked at the floor. Our teacher came in and quickly got to business. Her name was Dr.Jones and she had a research project already planned out for us. She started calling names out and assigning us partners. I was hoping to get Daniel. He is very intelligent and is a hard worker.

"Daniel and Eva"

Darn it. Maybe I could get Sandra.

"Sandra and LeVar."

Ugh I give up.

"Antwan and Stacey."

"What?!"

I said out loud not purposely.

"Is there a problem Stacey?"

"No ma'am."

"Good now class go mingle with your partner get their numbers so you can start preparing for you project."

I quickly wrote my number down placed it on Antwan's desk and returned to my own.I sat down and was writing in my notebook when he walked up beside me.

"Here's my number. Just call when you want to go to the library. I'll meet you." He stared at me for a second. I looked away.

"Okay thanks."

The bell rang and I left.