Chapter 18

**Stacey**

Me and Antwan went to the library today. We had to get our project finished. There weren't a lot of people there today so we got finished really quickly. After we finished we were walking around the library and ended up in the kids section of the library. I saw a little girl who lived next door to me she is probably 3 or 4.

"Hey Kyra" I said as I walked over to her.

She looked up and smiled missing all of her front teeth. She had puffy brown hair in two big puff balls and she wore red glasses. Her eyes we're a bright green and her skin was a high yellow. She came over and hugged me.

"Hi Stacey!"

I sat down next to her on a bean bag.

"Where's your mommy?"

"She left a long time ago with Carlos." She looked down at her book. I looked at her she looked so sad. She had bruises on her arms and her clothes looked dirty.

I changed the subject. "Kyra this is my boyfriend Antwan, Antwan this is little Kyra."

He walked over and sat in a kiddy chair next to us.

"Hey Kyra, has anybody ever told you that you are the prettiest girl in the world?" He reached over and tickled her neck.

She gave him a giggle. She looked at me.

"Stacey your boyfriend is really pretty."

I laughed. "Well that's why I chose him."

"Stacey i'm hungry."

"When is the last time you ate."

"At school yesterday."

I looked over at Antwan. He looked concerned.

"Okay how about we go get a Happy Meal?"

She jumped in my arms and hugged me. I pushed back some tears. She deserves so much better. We left the library and went to get some food.And we went to the park and to the movies.  After we left we went to see if her mother was home, she wasn't. So I took her to my house and gave her a bath and put her in Tarah's bed to get some sleep.

When I got back downstairs Antwan was sitting on the couch I went over and cuddled up with him.

"Hey how is she?"

"I just got her to sleep. I feel so sad for her. Her momma lost her job a couple years ago and got strung out on drugs. She got this new boyfriend Carlos and I know he beats her but I didn't know he was hitting Kyra until I saw the bruises today. I don't want her to have to go into foster care, but I can't let her stay with them."

He hugged me tight to his chest.

"We'll figure something out." I kissed him and we went upstairs and went to sleep.

When I woke up Kyra was somehow in between us.  They were so peaceful sleeping that I let them sleep. I went downstairs to make a phone call.

"Hello is this DCF?"

"Yes how can I help you?"

'i have a little girl who's mother is on drugs and the boyfriend has been beating her. I don't want her to be taken into foster care though."

"Well that's the last measure we go through, we're going to see if she has any family members. What's the child's name?"

"Kyra Smalls."

"Okay it says here that she has an Aunt here in the city. We'll be on our way down."

"Okay thank you."

I ran upstairs and woke Kyra up.

"Come on Ky' let's go get you a hot shower and some clothes."

I took her to the bathroom and gave her some of her old cothes that she left at my house a couple stays ago. I made her some bacon and waffles and Antwan ended up eating with her.

"Antwan you can be a good daddy." she said after they finished eating.

He smirked. "I'm way to young for a kid but one day I want to be."

She gave him a hug. Then there was a knock on the door.

"Is that my Aunty?"

"Yeah I think so."

I walked over to the door. It wasn't her aunt it was her mother.

"Hey Tarah girl you seen Kyra?"

"Its Stacey and yeah DCF is on their way to get her."

"Girl what? You pawned my daughter off to the feds. She ain't yo responsibility. That's my child. "

"Yeah well have you seen the bruises on her back and legs and arms. That little girl was so hungry yesterday you ain't bathed her or fed her. She ain't my responsibility but I took it into my own hands."

At that moment the DCF, police and Kyra's aunt pulled in.

"Give me my damn daughter so that I can be on my way. I got business to handle."

She pushed pass me.

"Kyra come on girl mommy is here let's go."

Antwan came out holding Kyra. She looked scared.

"Antwan I don't want to go with her."

 She turned her head into his chest. Her mother whipped around and looked at me.

"So you think you can turn my daughter against me? huh? Now y'all gone give me my child now she is MY property. I own that girl."

She started yelling at me and Kyra started crying.

"Shut yo ass up lil girl. Did I tell you to cry."

She walked over to Kyra and started pulling her hair. Antwan tried to get her off but she slapped him hard in the face. I don't know what came over me but I charged at her. Before I could reach her one of the officers held me back and the other one put her in cuffs. Her aunt walked over and took Kyra.

"Y'all better give me my child! That's my property. MINE. Y'ALL HEAR ME SHE MINE." they dragged her out. Kyra was still crying and she ran back over to Antwan.

"Thank you." He picked her up and she kissed him on the cheek.

She came over to me. "Bye Stacey."

"Bye beautiful"

And with that she was gone.