Chapter 4

**Stacey**

After school I was supposed to hang with Sydney but my parents called and said they had a surprise for me. Whenever they have a surprise its always something I don't want.

When I got home there was a giant white Range Rover sitting in the driveway with a big red bow on top. And a tow truck on the curb. I hopped out of my car.

"Mommy what's this?"

"We bought you a new car sweetie."

"And the tow truck?"

"Getting rid of that old station waggon."

"Thank you but I'm going to have to decline. "

"You cant we already paid it off and paid the driver."

"I don't need anymore attention on me mother. Kids already think I'm weird but now they gone think I'm trying to impress them."

"Ohh sweetie just take the gift and go on with life."

"Fine. Let me get my things out of the car."

"Here are the keys."

"Thank you ma'am. "

She kissed me and walked away. When she got inside I jumped up and down. I was happy to get rid of that old thing its been giving me problems since the day I got it. Now I have the best car in the school.

I went to my old car and kissed the steering wheel. Grabbed my bag and my cross that was hanging on the mirror. I ran to my new car and jumped in turned it on and drove right down the street to an empty lot and just sat there in my car breathing in the new car scent. I went in my bag to call Sydney but a paper fell out and I saw it was Antwan's number.

I sat there and looked at the paper. I got my phone and dialed his number. He answered but was mean. I told him it was me and told him I wanted to meet on Wednesday at the library. He said something else but I hung up. I guess I'm just too shy.

I decided to drive to Sydney's house. When she saw that it was me in the car she went crazy.

"Oh my goodness girl where did you get this."

"My mama and daddy bought it for me."

"You lucky duck you."

"I know its perfect. You want to take a ride?"

"Yes girl lets go."

She jumped in the car and turned the radio all the way up. I drove us to The Jooke. We ordered our food and waited. "So you been training for the season?"

"Girl I never stop. I gotta make sure I get these scholarships."

Sydney was the track star at our school. Fastest in the state of Virginia. She had so many college offers just pilling up on her desk at home. She could go to any college that she wanted. Not only was she fast but she was smart. Never made less than a B in any class. But her family wasn't as wealthy as mine so she had to strive for scholarships. But I'm pretty sure that wont be a problem.

"Well I'm just ready for this Science competition to get started. Lord knows it always takes me months and months to plan and get started."

"Girl you already know you gone win this damn thing. Stop stressing please."

"Ok. So I think the school messed up on something."

"What you talking about?"

"Third period I have AP English and Antwan James is in my class. And he's my partner for the research project. But we both know he stupid."

"Did you get his number?"

"Yeah I called him before I came to get you."

Just then my phone rang. I answered without looking at the number.

"Hello."

"Hey."

"Who this?"

"Ramone."

"Why are you calling me?"

"Can we talk?"

"Hell no."

"Babe please."

"I'm not your babe. Don't call me your babe. And don't call me. You are a cheater and I deserve better."

Then I hung up.

"Ramone?" Asked Sydney

I rolled my eyes and finished my food.

"I'm ready to go."

"Stacey don't let him get you down."

"I'm not lets go."

She followed and the drive was silent I told her I would see her at school tomorrow and drove off as soon as she shut the door. I couldn't believe Ramone just called me. Its been a month since I left him for cheating on me. I was heartbroken but I got over it real quick. I'm a strong woman. I just want to focus on my studies right now. No boys.