12

CWs/TWs: referenced starving, flashbacks/PTSD, meltdown, referenced history of self-harm. Stay safe, my loves <33

.•°*°•.

"Yeah, he did this thing where he zoned out and then started blinking a lot," Scar said to Grian out side of Mumbo's hopsital room. They'd spent most of the day there already, Grian and Scar insisting to be there until Mumbo was discharged to make sure their boyfriend was okay. "It was weird."

Joel shifted in his seat and looked up from his phone. "Hey, Scar," he said, grabbing the boy's attention. "What did you say Mumbo did?"

Scar made a nervous sound. "Uh... he zoned out and blinked a lot," he repeated hesitantly. "Why, what does that mean? Is he going to die?"

"How many times did he do that?"

"Maybe, like... two or three times."

Joel sighed and stood up. "Then we need to keep an eye on him," he said. "He might have another seizure."

Scar gasped. "Those were seizures?!" he exclaimed, then covered his face with his hand. "Oh my god, I'm so dumb."

"Stop saying that," Grian scolded him as Joel walked into the room.

As much as Joel wanted to help comfort Scar, he was getting a little tired of saying that same thing over and over again.

"Oh, hey, Joel," Mumbo said, waving a bit.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Joel asked, sitting next to Mumbo's father. "Any dizziness or anything?"

Mumbo tilted his head in slight confusion. "No," he answered. "Why?"

"Do you remember blacking out at all yesterday or before we got here?" Joel asked, and Mumbo nodded hesitantly. "Those were likely seizures."

Mumbo's father gasped. "Seizures?! Do you think it's epilepsy?"

Joel shook his head, turning toward him. "Considering how long he's gone without eating, it may just be caused by his severe lack of nutrition," he said calmly with a shrug. "I want to keep an eye on him in case it happens again." He looked back at Mumbo. "Let us know if you start to suddenly feel really dizzy, like you're going to faint."

Mumbo nodded.

.•°*°•.

Jimmy came to the hospital to check on Lizzie and Joel when he found out they'd been there all day, bringing them a few snacks for in between lunch and dinner.

"Aw, thank you," Lizzie said, hugging Jimmy and kissing his cheek. "You're so sweet."

Jimmy shrugged. "The least I can do is bring you some snacks that aren't junk from the vending machine," he said, handing over a medium sized lunch box. "There's crackers and cream cheese, strawberries, celery and carrots, and those little individual peanut butter pockets."

Lizzie smiled. "I'll make sure Grian gets some of the celery," she giggled. "He really likes it." She set the lunch box down on the chair she was sitting on and reached into her purse. "Why don't you go get some water for everyone?"

"Sure."

Once Jimmy got the water, he, Liz, Grian, and Scar went to the cafeteria to eat and hang out. Joel stayed behind to keep an eye on Mumbo and let the nurse and doctor know that he'd been having seizures.

Scar sighed and laid his head down on the table. "I'm not hungry," he murmured. "My stomach's upset."

Grian frowned. "Scar, there's carrots," he said. "You love carrots."