29

Prepare yourselves for some Mumscarian angst (don't worry, there's flower husbands fluff, too /gen)

CWs/TWs: referenced eating disorder, transphobic comments, thoughts of self-delete

.•°*°•.

As the next week past, Scar and Grian got more and more excited about Mumbo coming home from the rehab centre. They were upset to find out he had to stay for an additional two weeks, but they were more than ecstatic that he was coming back. Grian, for one, was absolutely bouncing off the walls.

"You're so cute when you're happy," Scar said, laughing at how Grian couldn't manage to stay still, busying himself by tidying up the (already clean) room. "Come on, sit down." He patted the spot next to him on the bed. "You're doing too much."

Grian paused, then set down the cups he'd picked up and sat next to Scar. "Sorry," he said, "I'm just excited."

Scar kissed his cheek. "It's fine," he said. "I think it's adorable."

"Mumbo's here!" Joel called up the stairs, and Grian and Scar looked up at each other.

Scar rushed down the stairs with Grian close behind and they both cheered loudly at the sight of their boyfriend... who looked rather upset. But Grian didn't seem to notice.

"Mumbo, you're back," Grian exclaimed with happy tears in his eyes as he ran over to give Mumbo a hug. He paused and looked up when Mumbo didn't reciprocate it. "Mumbo?"

Mumbo rolled his eyes and shooed Grian away, to which Grian looked like he wanted to break down crying. "I just came to say goodbye before I go with my dad," he said dryly, and Scar frowned.

"You just shoved your boyfriend," the brunette said, crossing his arms. "Aren't you going to apologise?"

Mumbo didn't say anything.

Grian shifted uncomfortably. "It's fine, Scar," he said softly, secretly wiping at his eye by pretending to scratch his eyebrow. "I should have asked first if he wanted a hug." His voice was quivering a bit.

Scar scoffed. "He shouldn't have shoved you." He glared at Mumbo and Mumbo glared back. "Apologise to your boyfriend, you dick face."

"Is everything okay?" Grian asked, and he looked between them, feeling more and more uncomfortable the longer he looked at their angry faces. "Am I missing something?"

.•°*°•.

One Week Ago . . .

"Hey, Mumbo!" Scar said excitedly as he answered the call from his boyfriend. He'd been waiting all week to spill all of his nonsense and tea. And to see Mumbo's beautiful face, of course. "How are you?" It took Scar a moment to realise how tired and sad Mumbo looked. "Are you okay?"

Mumbo sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I want to come home," he said, then sobbed. "But they want to send me somewhere else now. I've been doing everything they want me to do since they extended my stay, I don't understand-" He hiccuped. "I'm eating and I'm gaining weight and I'm taking my meds like I'm supposed to. I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

"Last time you said it was because you wouldn't participate, right?" Scar asked. "Maybe it's that?"

Mumbo groaned. "It shouldn't matter if I'm getting better, right?"

Scar paused then shrugged. "I mean, I guess," he mumbled, thinking about how odd Mumbo was acting. Mumbo wasn't usually so easily agitated like that, he was normally so calm and peaceful. What changed that now Mumbo was opposite of how he was before? Curious, Scar voiced that thought.