Chapter 24: Ordeal of Memories

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seoul, South Korea.

Moment later.

HUENING KAI

I am back home after spending time with Yeonjun and searching for my new home. Fortunately, I found the perfect area with my desired house. My aunt already began the paperwork to buy it this week and before the interviews conclude. After selecting my new home, Nathan picked up Yeonjun since he had other activities to attend. I wished him luck and then returned home.

Right now, I am outside on my bedroom balcony, looking at the city from my perspective while drinking coffee. Ever since I returned, I've thought about Yeonjun and what I told him about my parents' house. It was the first time I talked about my family in such a long time, and even though it felt strange, I didn't regret it.

—I thought you would be here – I heard my aunt speak, causing me to look to my left, soon seeing her approaching my side with a cup of tea.

—Hana – I said as she sat down on the chair beside me.

—Are you surprised I'm here? – My aunt asked before tasting her tea.

—I perceived you wanted to talk about something. Perhaps Yeonjun, as you're getting used to, Hana – I mentioned while rolling my eyes, then looking back at the balcony's view.

—You know, I insist on speaking about that young man because I believe he gives life to you – My aunt admitted before taking a deep breath—. And I heard what you said when he arrived with us – She revealed, making me look at her, confused.

—Where are you spying on us? – I asked.

—No, I wanted to show you the house's kitchen, but I stood there while listening to you. I noticed how trustworthy Yeonjun is and his loyalty to you – My aunt disclosed.

—What are you suggesting with your words? – I asked while ignoring my genuine thoughts about my bond with Yeonjun.

—I wish you could tell Yeonjun about your parents; I'm sure he's wondering why you haven't spoken of that subject with him – My aunt voiced before glancing at me, taking another sip of her tea afterward—. Kai, I know you, so I've noticed your peace whenever you are with Yeonjun. With that said, I hope you can accept your feelings one day – My aunt sincerely said.

—Hana, I don't think it's the right moment to think about Yeonjun, and I can't speak about my parents. Today, I almost broke down while telling him. If it wasn't for Yeonjun's lively attitude, I could have appeared like a waterfall – I mentioned before staring back at my aunt—. And you know how I feel about love, Hana. It isn't for me anymore.

—Think about it, Kai. I see in Yeonjun's eyes how he wants to be closer to you, and didn't you say he disapproved of your reconciliation with Blake? See? He still wants to approach you regardless of your decisions – My aunt pointed out, her words making me doubt.

—I'll think about it, but for now, I only want to relax – I said before drinking more coffee, then looking at the sun going down.

"Yeonjun-hyung put aside his personal feelings regarding Blake only because of me," I thought.

Evening.

CHOI YEONJUN

After a tiring day at the studio and traveling to other places for a photoshoot, I returned home. I had fun throughout the activities, but now that I'm alone, I sense my emotions erupt. – Even if I had great times this day, I still hold this sorrowful feeling; after all, the anniversary is coming closer. – I didn't reveal anything to Kai because, just like him, I have something I can't talk about without breaking down, Megan's death. It is one of the most hurtful things I've experienced, and now the anniversary is closer. In the upcoming days, I won't have enough strength to breathe and stay optimistic. – The remembrance of Megan's departure is still challenging for me. After all, I still think I couldn't save my best friend from her demons, and I have felt guilty since she left.

Memories of my time with Megan made me question my current closure with Kai and wonder if I can be the person he needs and seeks. – My friendship with Megan was entirely different from Kai's; furthermore, both stories don't have many things in common. Yet, these sorrowful times make me think about Kai more than ever.

Due to my foggy mind, I began to play the guitar while letting my emotions flow as I sang. But the thoughts inside my head continued to disturb my attention, causing me to lose the patience to continue playing. Hence, I stopped, placed the guitar aside, and briefly looked at my phone. I grabbed it and searched for my chat with Megan, and shortly after, I opened it and reproduced the last voicemail I received from her.

"Yeonjun, you are probably wondering why I decided to step away from life and call it quits. Well, I thought about it for a long time, but I never concluded my objective since I had you on the back of my head. But I couldn't keep going like nothing happened, you know? People stopped trusting me, and even my family believed what others talked about me. You are the only one next to me; thus, I believe you can move on now that I'm not here. It sounds like I took the easy route, but it's not. It takes courage to do what I did, and even though I know you will differ from my words, I only ask you to understand and respect my decision. I love you so much, and sincerely I hope you can be happy while reaching your dreams."

After the voicemail ended, I felt tears falling from my eyes as I rested against the couch's back. I tried to control my subtle sobs while holding my chest, feeling my breath quickening. Eventually, I began to calm down. I left the phone aside and closed my eyes, but abruptly, memories of Megan started to appear inside my head, causing my tears to fall quicker.

"Try to breathe, Yeonjun. Stay steady," I thought while shutting my eyes tighter.

I nodded while listening to my thoughts; I took a deep breath before opening my eyes. Then, I grabbed my guitar and began caressing the strings with my fingers. I sniffed before playing the song I used to perform for Megan every other day. It was one of her favorites, and even though it isn't my song, she liked how I sang it. Those memories caused me to smile and feel at ease; after all, Megan enjoyed life before her departure.

It was cruel to everything that happened in Megan's life; it was almost the identical issue Kai experienced. However, Megan didn't have control over the situation and didn't know how to stop the person behind the rumor regarding her life. – Once again, the wrong use of the network damaged someone's life. – Fortunately, Kai handled his problem despite the circumstances, but his life drastically changed. Now, everyone knows him: something he didn't want to experience due to his past.

—When Kai disappears, what will happen to Jordan next? – I questioned while looking at my guitar, briefly humming the melody—. Jordan Kamal will come soon, and I'm not sure if this new path might affect our closure – I murmured as I kept playing the song, trying to focus on the notes and stop thinking about everything else.