Chapter 29: Shutdown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seoul, South Korea.

Days later.

HUENING KAI

Yeonjun's acting was convincing; he put effort into his expression and affirmations. Still, I detected his unwellness behind his smile and alleged comprehension. – The moving day gave me all the information I needed before moving forward with my new plans. I finally realized the problems, and one of them was me. – I became selfish and acted like a victim before everybody. I protected myself and didn't care about others. And when I decided to change my identity, I listlessly continued without thinking about Yeonjun and my friends.

I'm at Yeonjun's house, waiting at the entrance for him to open the door. I carry a small bag in my hands; it has a gift for Yeonjun. I see it as an award for tolerating my shitty decisions and attitude. The least he deserved was my uncaring side.

—Hi! What are you doing here? – Yeonjun asked, confused—. I thought you had your last interview.

—I did it in the morning; I changed the schedule – I explained before awkwardly smiling at Yeonjun—. May I come in?

—Oh! Yes, come in! – Yeonjun said before moving from the entrance.

I entered the house while Yeonjun closed the door behind me. – It hasn't been a minute since I arrived, and it already feels uncomfortable.

—Did you want to talk about something? – Yeonjun asked.

—Yes, indeed – I answered before we went to the living area and sat on the couch—. Frankly, I came here to apologize.

—Apologize? Why?

—Yeonjun-hyung, don't fake it; I've been terrible to you. I paid more attention to my issues than yours; I made choices that affected you as much as me – I disclosed before taking a deep breath—. I'm sorry.

Yeonjun looked away while remaining silent; his expression told me I got my information right. He was against my identity change.

—I only want the best for you, and if changing yourself is what you need, then I'm no one to tell you otherwise – Yeonjun earnestly answered.

—You aren't 'nobody.' You are my boyfriend, and I must consider you when I make such significant decisions, – I pointed out, somewhat upset—. That's why I reversed my plan.

Yeonjun glanced at me, stunned—. What?

—Yes. Like you heard! I won't change anything about me; I'll live like myself forever. I can't keep running away – I pointed out while feeling anxious. I scratched my fingers with my nails, but Yeonjun immediately noticed and took my hands to stop me.