chapter 4: not an interrogation?

she didn't say anything though which i kind of appreciated.

Angela's POV:

This is so freaky, this kid, this little girl im looking after, it's almost like i am looking at Wesley, she has those same blue eyes not to mention the fact the hair is so similar too. But it's those eyes, i have looked into those blue orbs so many times but this is a child, a little girl, this isn't Wesley. I shake the thoughts away and grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator and slide it on the table in front of her.

She had already scoffed the other half of my sandwich i gave her, the fact she told me she wasn't hungry when she clearly was, that made me so sad. And then there was the fact she was so terrified of leaving Nyla and coming with me, i don't know what this kid's been through yet but i can already tell it's not good.

All i know about her is her name, Amelia, i don't know how old she is but if i had to guess by her size i would say around, four and five. I sit in silence as i stare at this girl, she looks at the bottle of water, it was clear she wanted it but looked almost scared of picking it up. She did the exact same thing with that sandwich.

"It's your's, you can have it" i tell her and just like that she reaches for the bottle, she instantly tries to twist the cap off but it must've been on tight because she was clearly struggling. "Here, let me" i say before taking the bottle and unscrewing the lid before passing it back to her, "t,th, thank you" she stutters out to me ever so quietly before taking a sip of the water.

We then find ourselves in silence, non of us speaking a word, i didn't really know what to say and she clearly wasn't much of a talker, she was too scared. I then noticed her Teddy bear that hadn't left her hands, she was holding on so tight like her life dependent on it. "What's this one's name?" I ask as i point to the bear, she obviously liked this toy and it meant alot to her.

For the first time since i had been given the job of watching her, she looks at me, engaging eye contact "Bobby" she answers me before looking back down at the bear "he's my best friend" she adds. I smile even though she couldn't see it "yea, he looks like a good friend, bet he gives the best cuddles?" I ask, my smile not leaving my face.

Suddenly she looks up at me and nods ecstaticly her eyes wider than before "how did you know?" She questions making me chuckle "just a hunch"i say, she then looks at me in confusion almost before tilting her head "h,hunch?" She asks in a stutter, aww, we going back to that are we? I smile at her soflty "a feeling, i just guessed" i answer her.

She does a O shape with her mouth before nodding and looking back down at the bear i now know as Bobby. Shortly after there is a knock on the door and i turn to see Nyla standing there, she gestures for me to come on out so i do but not before telling Amelia id be right back. She nods and so i walk out the room towards Nyla.

"Thanks for watching her, she seems to like you" she says making me raise an eyebrow "we were just talking" i say and she nods her head "exactly my point, she doesn't trust anyone enough to have a conversation like that". I roll my eyes "she seemed to be just fine with you" i said as i remembered how she didn't want to leave her arm's earlier.

This time Nyla raises an eyebrow "yea and it took me quite a while to get to that point, you got her trusting you after what? ten minutes?" My smile widens as i realize that, that's actually pretty sweet, i was there thinking she didn't trust me. My smile then falters though as i start to think about why she would be so scared.

"I know that look and hey, we don't know much yet, me and Nolan have got to take her to to the conference room and speak with her, ask her a few questions" she tells me, i nod and look through the glass window at the little girl sat at the table sipping on the bottle of water i had given her. "What do you know?" I ask my colleague.

She sighs before answering, "me and Nolan had a call for a possible domestic, when we arrived on scene we found a woman dead, she had been stabbed. Then we found Amelia in another room, huddled up in the corner frightened covered in blood" i feel my heart break for the child "poor girl" i said, no wonder she is so scared!

Nyla nods before adding "that's not all, there were signs of drug use and Amelia's bedroom, if you can even call it that, all that was in there was a mattress and then when we had her checked over at the hospital there were signs of abuse all over her, some were pretty recent" oh god! This is just awful, this poor girl, she didn't deserve any of that.

She's just so adorable, she's innocent, a precious child, this definitely explains why she is the way she is, it explains so much already. What hurts even more is knowing this probably isn't it, that there is so much more. Hopefully Tim can get his social worker girlfriend to be on her case after all they're definitely gonna need to get involved if they're not already.

Amelia's POV:

Angela and Nyla suddenly came back in from when they're were talking outside the room "hey Amelia" Nyla greets me as she gives me a smile "hi" i mumble back quietly. "So me and John need to talk to you in another room, is that okay?" She adds, my eyes widen and i instantly panic, rising from my chair, i shake my head.

Angela then gets closer to me "hey, hey, it's okay, what got you all scared? Talk to me" she says as she kneels down at my level, she doesn't touch me but she gives me a warm reassuring smile "you, you going to int, interror, interrogate me" i stutter out, i couldn't really remember what the word was.

Nyla then shakes her head before standing beside Angela who was still at my level "oh sweetheart, we're not doing that, its not an interrogation, you've done nothing wrong, we just need to ask some questions" i look between the two women with a questionable look as i try to read them by their facial expressions.

"Angela can sit inside with you if you like?" Nyla asks me, i nod my head instantly, i liked her, i had felt safe with Nyla when at the hospital but being next to Angela gave me a different sense of safety. "Bobby too?" I ask as i hold onto my best friend, Angela nods with a huge smile "of course, Bobby too" she answers me before placing a hand on my shoulder.

I nod my head with a smile and Angela holds out her hand like she had done before and this time i took it without any hesitation. I am then lead to another room where i see John sat at a desk, just as me and Angela are abouts to walk in another woman walks towards us "you were not just about to question her without me" she says as she looks to Nyla and Angela raising an eyebrow.

Nyla chuckles slightly and shake's her head "no Rachel, we knew you were coming, i asked Tim" she nods her head "good" the woman then looks down to me before smiling "hi! You must be Amelia, my name is Rachel, i am really sorry to hear about your mom but im going to be your social worker from now on okay? You don't have to be scared" She tells me, i just look between the three woman confused, what's a social worker? And why do i need one?