chapter 5: I know this is hard

what's a social worker? And why do i need one?

Amelia's POV:

We were now sat in a big room with loads of table's and chair's, by we i mean, Nyla, John, Rachel, Angela, me and of course Bobby, i can't forget him. As i am sat in the chair i can't help but feel really scared, i know they said this wasn't an in, i terror- interrogation but it doesn't make this any less terrifying.

And then there's what Rachel said, she seems really nice and all but what did she mean by social worker? Was i in trouble? Did i do something bad? My train of negative thinking is suddenly interrupted by a voice, Nyla's voice to be exact "i know this is hard" she began before giving me a sad smile.

"But we need to know what happened today" she added, instantly my mind starts to think back to the very moment i woke up and everything that had happened from that very moment "everything?" I asked not really wanting to talk about all that, John is the one to answer but nods before answering "you can stop at any point though, if it gets too much just let us know".

So i took a deep breath as i gripped onto Bobby a bit tighter, i looked to Angela and she placed a hand on mine "its okay" she said reassuringly. I nod before turning my gaze back onto John and Nyla "well i woke up, i think a bit later than i normally do because my mommy's friend's were there". Nyla nodded as she wrote on a piece of paper.

"Did they come round often?" Nyla asked, too which i nodded "yea, i guess, it's whenever mommy had money, they would have beer and that white powder stuff" i see the adults all give each other a similar look. John is the one to break the silence with another question "and were they doing that today?"

Nodding i answered that question too "yea, i didn't know though, i was stupid cause the music was playing and they were being loud, i should have known" i look down as the flashbacks of what happened shortly after i walked into that room flooded my brain. Then i felt a slight squeeze on my hand, it was Angela, she gave me a sad smile.

"You said you just woke up though right?" She asked me, i nodded my head but didn't really understand what she was getting at. "Well you were half asleep, you hadn't properly woken up yet, it doesn't make you stupid, far from it, it makes you human" she adds, not taking her brown eyes off of my blue one's.

"Really?" I asked in disbelief my voice was quiet too, i am far too used to people calling me stupid. She just nods "one hundred percent" she answered with a soft smile "ask Bobby if you don't believe me" she added which put a toothy grin on my face as i looked down to my friend. "I believe you" i said as i gave her a quick glance.

"Can you tell us what happened next? When you walked into the room and saw them" John then asked, i nodded but that question definitely dampened the mood. Angela's hard work on trying to make me smile completely vanished in a matter of second's but i knew he was just doing his job. "Mommy was mad" i answered.

Before any of them had a chance to ask another question i continued already knowing what they would ask anyway "my mommy had this rule that i was never to disturb her and her friends when they were having that white stuff, she didn't want me around". A tear escapes my eye and i quickly wipe it away hoping non of them saw.

"We can stop Amelia, you don't have to continue, me and you can leave this room right now if you want?" Rachel then speaks as she gives me a sad smile, i guess she saw that tear. I shake my head though, yes i didn't really want to go through all of this but if it could help them then i should, right?

"Mommy punished me like i deserved,  she slapped me and then got Josè to get the hair brush from her room" i quickly pull Bobby closer to me needing his comfort. "She spanked me with it, once she was done i was told to go to my room and i was but...but then i accidentally knocked the table and spilled one of her friends drinks" i added.

By now my tears couldn't stop and i dont know what made me do this but i turned to Angela and threw myself into her arms. I think my actions took her by surprise just as much as myself but she didn't hesitate in wrapping her arms around me. She lifted me a little more onto her lap and held me close, i then felt her run her fingers through my hair.

This feeling i got when she did this, i didn't recognize it but it was nice, i didn't want her to stop. "I think this is enough now, she clearly can't carry on, she's too upset" i hear Rachel say and i already knew she was talking to Nyla and John. "I agree, it's okay Amelia, you did really well" Nyla then says but i shake my head while i am still in Angela's arms.

"NO!" I spoke a little too loudly before turning my head to look at them "no, i am upset but i, i need to do this, please let me do this" i begged. John frowns at me "i dont think that's a good idea Amelia", Rachel nods "i agree, this is too much". I Break down into even more tears refusing to listen.

If i dont do this now i will only have to do it another day and i dont want too "one of mommy's friend's, i think his name was Kenny, he, he used his belt, after he was done i went to my room, tried to sleep but i couldn't, it was too loud so i stayed awake" i started to explain, Rachel tried to stop me of course but i didn't listen.

"All the noise carried on for ages but when it did stop i didn't go straight into the room, i, i wanted to make sure mommy's friend's were really gone before i did so i stayed and i guess i just waited and then..." I continued, stopping when it got to that specific part, the part where i heard yelling and then her scream.

"And then what?" Nyla asked, her whole expression had softened by now, she just looked at me with a sad smile "i heard yelling and then... I heard mommy scream" i answered. Nyla frowned at me, John doing the same, Rachel didn't do anything, she looked deep in thought. Angela, well she just continued to hold me.

"Amelia, this is really important, did you, did you see the person?" John then asked, i take a deep breath before shaking my head "no" i looked down, now avoiding eye contact "i was scared, i heard the door slam but i waited a bit... Im sorry, i, i froze, i panicked, I didn't, i didn't know what to do" by now my heart was racing like before.

"Hey hey hey" i suddenly hear, it was Angela's voice, she lifted my chin slightly with her thumb making me look her in the eyes "you have nothing to be sorry for, what happened was terrifying, your actions are completely justified, don't ever feel bad for that". I nod my head but don't say anything.

"She's right but Amelia, you said you heard yelling, did you recognize the voice? Was it one of your moms friend's?" Nyla asks, now that i think of it, yes! Yes it did, nodding i answer her question "yea, i guess it it did", she nods her head with a smile. "Was it Josè or Kenny? The one's you mentioned earlier?" John asks.

I look to him and answer straight away with a nod "Kenny! Definitely Kenny" he nods and shares a look with Nyla "that's brilliant Amelia, you've been so good" Nyla says as she writes a bit more down. Rachel then speaks up "now that's done, are we free to leave, i need to get Amelia settled" i frown, what does she mean by that?

Nyla nods at her, her eyes then widening before she pulls something out of her pocket and hands it to Rachel "this was given at the hospital, she needs it applied daily to her back, to help it heal and avoid getting an infection". Rachel nods her head "thanks" she tells her before looking back at me, "shall we get going then Amelia?" She asks.