Chapter 1

"Did you all wrote your letters?" Miss Tiger asks. Blaine nods. He's really exited about this. It's his first year in middle school and it's already cool. The teachers had the idea of letting the students write letters and send them away with ballons. No control where they're flying, how far they come or who finds them.

Today is the day they let go of the ballons and Blaine couldn't be more exited. He ties his letter to the cord of his yellow ballon and counts down from 10 with the others before releasing his ballon in the great unknown, waving at it rises up to the air and hoping he gets an answer.

>>><<<

When Kurt comes home from school one day he finds a bright yellow ballon in his backyard. Fast curiousity takes over and the boy takes the ballon inside. He sits down on his bed and takes the letter from the ballon. While he uses both hands to open the letter, the ballon rises to the ceiling but thanks to the cord it's still in Kurts reach.

>>><<<

Dear stranger
Congratulations you found my ballon. I'm just a boy who starts middle school and I would be happy if you answer and tell me how far my ballon came (the adress on the letter is the one from my school where the letter would arrive).
Maybe we even could be friends or something.
Well I guess there's nothing more to say for me but I hope to hear from you.
Bye
Blaine

>>><<<

Kurt knows he should do his homework but he always wondered how it would be to have a pen friend and he can still do his homework later. So he takes out his pen and some paper and starts writing.

>>><<<

Dear Blaine
I found your ballon in our backyard after school,
I'm actually in my second year of middle school and my school didn't do such a cool thing when I started last year, How du you like middle school so far?
I'm from Lima by the way and your school is in Westerville so I'd say your ballon has quite a way behind it, But don't worry, I took it in my room,
I would love to be friends with you, I think it would be cool to have a pen freind,
Greetings
Kurt

>>><<<

Kurt makes a mental note to ask his dad when he's home from work if he can send the letter away. For now he should really do his homework so he's done before dinner and they can do something fun in the evening.

Only two hours later and Kurt long done with homework his father comes home. "Dad!" Kurt greets him exited. "Yes bud?" the man asks, laughing at the exitement of his son. "I got a letter today. It was on a ballon from a boy who started middle school in Westerville. His name is Blaine. I wrote back. Can you send it away? Or explain me how to do that?" the young boy tells, practically bouncing from exitement.

Burt laughs and answers "How about we make something for dinner and then I can show you? Did you do your homework?". "Uhu" Kurt nods, already running to the kitchen to get started on dinner. He can't wait to send the letter back to Blaine.

After dinner Burt explains ho to adress an envelope correctly and where to put the stamp and everything so Kurt can send it away tomorrow before or after school.

>>><<<

Four days after letting go of the ballon Blaine finds letter on his seat in school. Just as he wants to ask what this is Miss Tiger says "Someone answered to your letter Blaine". When he hears that Blaines eyes grow wide "Really?". Sure he hoped that this will happen but he never actually thought it will. But since class starts now Blaine puts the letter away, waiting eagerly for lunch break.

While the other kids in lunch break eat and play together Blaine searches for a quiet place at a table and reads the letter smiling before writing a respons while eating dinner.

>>><<<

Dear Kurt
Lima. That's so cool.
I never thought someone would actually respond to that or even better wants to be my friend too so I'm so so so happy right now.
School is okay, not too hard. And I have a friend already.
How is second year of middle school? Is it a lot harder than first year?
Also I think now that we're friends we should get to know each other.
Tell me about yourself and ask me things you want to know about me.
Can't wait for your letter.
Bye
Blaine

>>><<<

On the very same day Blaine asks his mom how to adress and send letters correctly. His father had to work longer, or so he said, so his mom and Blaine watch a movie after eating and getting the letter ready for Blaine to send away.

Blaine can't wait until the next day whe he can send the letter away and then the waiting for an answer. He has a good feeling about this, Kurt and him, so he can't wait to get to know him.

On his way to school the next morning Blaine sends the letter away, already exited for the answer he'll get.

He puts the one he got from Kurt into a little box he found and will put every other letter in as well that he gets from Kurt in the future.