13

Chapter 7 – To Treat Each Other as Honored Guests1 Part 2

The basic preparations for this R&D project had already been established because Zu Jin planned and implemented it.

Zu Jin gave a detailed presentation on the whole project, as well as follow-up investments and potential returns in profit. They only stayed in the conference room for about two hours before Yan Lin decided to cooperate with them.

Ji Desheng sprang to his feet in joy, grabbed Yan Lin’s hand and shook it for a long time before releasing it.

Following that, they signed several cooperation agreements. Although there were several important contracts that needed to be signed later, Yan Lin’s attitude meant that they would be able to announce to the world that their cooperation had officially begun.

This project would mark a change in Qiyu Corporation’s approach to high-tech industries in the future. Once the R&D project was released, Qiyu would immediately be taking a huge step on an endless staircase of possibilities.

Zu Jin was naturally very happy. Once everyone finished signing the agreement, Yan Lin didn’t stay any longer and left very quickly.

This could not be more in line with his legendary behavior of passing like thunder and moving like the wind2 as well as his low-key style.

Ji Desheng called her to the office after Yan Lin left.

“This time the board of directors can finally shut up. They will never say anything about you again, Xiao Jin. You didn’t disappoint me.”

Zu Jin sat on the sofa while honestly making tea for him. No matter what the other person said, she could only obediently listen.

Then, Ji Desheng suddenly changed the conversation as she had expected.

“Xiao Jin, I have a question I want to ask you. You can’t hide it from me.”

Zu Jin smiled and said, “Chairman Ji, you can say it.”

“Do you like Yan Lin?”

“…”

Ji Desheng was an old fox. It was apparent that she couldn’t hide anything from him.

Zu Jin looked down at the coffee table, pursed her lips and nodded her head.

“Mhm.”

"
"
Ji Desheng clapped his hands. “That’s great. He’s such a powerful man. If we can work with him, then other people will be envious of us. Additionally, I heard that he is still single. You are currently working together and your age happens to be suitable. Take advantage of this opportunity to get in touch with him more. If you feel embarrassed, then I can help you act as a middleman, and help you pass on a message.”

Zu Jin was about to break out in a cold sweat. “No, it’s not appropriate!”

“Hey! Don’t be embarrassed. Besides, you are good looking and capable. Who hasn’t praised you for being a beauty? So you don’t have to worry about whether you are worthy or not. If you are together with him, then I will recognize you as my adopted daughter and give you some shares as a dowry. Later on, us, Qiyu Corporation, can be in-laws with Chloe Investments! Hahaha!”

Zu Jin lost her patience after hearing his words. She tried to maintain the same expression on her face and poured the tea for Ji Desheng.

Afterwards, she stood up and said, “Chairman Ji, I have a lot of work waiting for me. If you have nothing else, then I’ll go back first.”

“Huh? You little girl…”

Zu Jin had been preparing for this project for more than a year.

She lost every sense of accomplishment for the project and the excitement that it was finally able to start when she returned to her office.

Ji Desheng didn’t cover up his selfish attitude of letting her pursue Yan Lin. It was like cold water splashed on a basin of burning hot coal.

Not only did the water make her feel cold all over, but it also wiped out all of the time and effort she had invested.

However, when it came to how a superior treated their employees, everything was motivated by benefits. If she led Qiyu’s advancement, then she would gain a better reputation and be rewarded generously.

She didn’t want to do it like that.

It was very late in the evening after she worked overtime again.

Zu Jin got into the car and turned her cell phone on. She saw that Yan Lin did not call her, but sent her two text messages.

The first message: Chairman Ji seems to know.

The second message: Are you off work yet?

She looked at it for a while before she called him.

“Are you done?”

“Yes, I’m driving home now. Can you come tomorrow?”

The other side chuckled, “Yes, I have more free time than you, so I’ll make a reservation tomorrow and we’ll talk about it when we meet.”

"
"
After Zu Jin hung up the phone, she collapsed wearily onto the car seat.

If there was no one else in the car, then she wanted to continue talking with Yan Lin.

But there was and she couldn’t relax, so she abandoned that thought.

Xia Tong was sitting next to her and was playing on her cell phone. When Xia Tong saw her softly sigh, she asked loudly, “Jin Jie, the project can finally start. Will you let everyone take the day off tomorrow?”

Zu Jin instantly turned her face and said, “Who wants to take the day off?”

Xia Tong was frightened and waved her hand at once, “No, no. I just spoke without thinking. Then, uh, the person you were on the phone with just now, is it the one you wanted to chase?”

Zu Jin smiled and said, “That’s right.”

“Did you catch him? Who is it?!”

“I can’t say who.”

Xia Tong immediately gave a strange cry and said bitterly, “Why are you like this?!”

“Why are you screaming like a ghost? When I can tell you, then I will of course tell you.”

“Then, you have to promise me that out of the entire corporation, you will let me be the first to know!”

Zu Jin faintly said, “Okay, you can exchange your year-end bonus for it.”

Xia Tong grinded her teeth, but suddenly smiled again a few seconds later.

“If you want to deduct my bonus, then you can! If you do it, then I will go find your husband and ask him to give me a huge red envelope as a reward! I’m your little secretary who is bullied by you every day!”

When Zu Jin heard this, she laughed so hard that she curled up.

“Yes, I’m sure he’ll agree.”

“What? Really? Then he is very generous!” Shiny gold coin symbols appeared in Xia Tong’s eyes.

Footnotes
相敬如宾 (xiāngjìngrúbīn) – idiom that means a couple that get along well and treat each other with respect like between a husband and wife
雷厉风行 (léilìfēngxíng) – idiom that means aggressive, swift and decisive reaction