30. Nighttime events

💧

Dieq's head is in turmoil. To the point where he feels angry.

"Nayan and Chepi have room number four, we're in number five. All the city guards are on patrol during our stay, so we should be safe for tonight."

Standing in the hallway right outside the two rooms they have been given, on a floor that is completely empty aside from the city guards guarding at every door and every window, Dieq is right in front of a serious Eang. The head guards's face is cold. His tone is monotonous, the way it has been ever since their argument. But Dieq can't focus on that right now. He has something completely different in mind, as Eang continues to ramble about the mission and safety and other stuff that Dieq used to care so much about before.

"Although, we should get moving first thing tomorrow morning. I can't be sure that the archangel and demon haven't been following us. No petty city guards can stop them." Eang says, his voice as respectful as possible to heed to the fact that Dieq is the prince that he serves. Dieq wants to roll his eyes and feel a twinge of guilt and anger build up inside like usual, but instead he only feels torn.

"Eang..." Dieq sighs out, wanting to tell him but not knowing how to bring it up. The guard ignores him, continuing his monologue. "I can stay awake for tonight, just to be sure. I don't want a repeat of last time, and I know your highness doesn't want it either." Eang gestures at the guards standing by the doors, implying that he doesn't trust them to guard them properly in times like these. Dieq can't think straight. He doesn't want to be talking about this. He needs to bring it up.

"Eang, do you think it's right of me to want Chepi to stay in my kingdom?"

Dieq realises pretty quickly that he probably spoke louder than he should've, because the city guards in the hallway glance up at him before hurrying to lower their gazes. Chepi and Nayan are in the room right by where they are standing, probably setting up to sleep for the night. He shouldn't have been so loud.

Eang, however, has a completely blank expression on his face. As blank as his silence. Dieq looks at him as seriously as he always does, but he can't hide the fact that Eang's silence reminds him of how angry Eang still is at him, and how tense their relationship is. This probably isn't going to go well. It takes a long while for Eang to answer, and when he does, he still sounds distant and cold.

"What makes you say that?"

Dieq keeps his voice much lower than he did before, not wanting anyone except for Eang to know what he's overheard. He has a concerned expression on his face, which is a switch-up from the usual scarier, more confident one.

"She's a fairy, and no matter how we twist it, she belongs with fairies. Her brother is thinking of taking over his kingdom and killing his father, and then she'll have a loving family again. There would be no reason to keep her around anymore." Dieq says, as quiet as he is serious. Eang suddenly looks like a whole lot of different emotions. Shocked. Angry. Confused. Disgusted. Not wanting to believe it. Defeated, even. He takes a step back from the crown prince, shaking his head. "Your highness... what?"

"I overheard them speak today. I think Chepi might've forgiven him already. If she wants to go with him, why should I even stop her?"

Eang looks even angrier. In fact, the anger explodes inside of him so fast, he doesn't have time to think about respect towards his leader. It all blurs together into one single line. Dieq is going to let Chepi go back home. Chepi, the finder of the teardrop crystal. Eang's eyes are wide and burning. His mouth moves before he can stop it. "Dieq, what the fuck?"

Although his blunt and disrespectful words cause shocked glances to be shared between the city guards, who have heard nothing but rumours of Dieq's cruelty and power, Eang doesn't lose one bit of the fire in his eyes. He takes a step towards Dieq, closing the distance that he lost when he stepped back earlier. Dieq is a little bit too surprised to understand how angry his favourite guard is.