49. Hunting

💧

The world is turning into chaos.

One hour it's raining like crazy, the next it's so hot it's nearly impossible to stay both outside and inside. The winds are harsh enough to topple houses. Flight roads in the fairy kingdom have been closed for the past week because of high winds. The blue moon is close and nobody knows who has the crystal for sure, and those who do know don't know where she is.

At night it's often ice cold. Blue enchantment particles are seen everywhere, making the sky a vivid blue and the ground look like it's covered in blue dust. Nothing about the weather, the sky, the moon or the world makes sense, and that's how they all know the blue moon is just a day away.

But the weather is not the only thing that's crazy.

The war in the loopholes has been put on pause. At least on the angel part. The demons have found themselves fighting amongst each other and unable to find the crystal, but the angels were the first to know about the finder of the crystal. That's why they are no longer fighting in the loopholes, a pointless war as it was.

Instead archangel Xeraphina has mobilised all their troops to the fairy kingdom, without bothering to check with any fairy authority. Angel control over fairy land has never been more obvious than now. They are all just waiting, biding their time, knowing that the finder of the crystal will appear soon enough.

The biggest development has happened by the border, though. Between the fairy kingdom and the goblin kingdom, in a place hardly visited by anyone, the amount of goblin soldiers has increased from just two to one hundred, from one hundred to one thousand and suddenly from one thousand to ten thousand in a matter of three days. The news must've reached the fairy kingdom by now, but there is little they can do about it except mobilise a few hundred soldiers.

However, far away from the border, in a small wooden hut outside the fairy capital, the real attack is just about to begin.

"Eang says the troops are advancing into the country, they'll be in the capital within the day. But the rain is slowing them down."

Dieq is standing in front of a fireplace, reading the nearly completely destroyed letter that was delivered through fairy magic in the rain. The few fairies that they have on their side are all heavy supporters of Nayan, and it makes communication between them and the troops much easier. But before they can enter the capital they have to infiltrate it first, making Nayan king and opening the doors. That's why they are here, in an otherwise abandoned hunting lodging an hour away from the capital's first houses.

"Then we leave now." Nayan says, a determined look in his eye. He's been impatient, constantly impatient these past few days. Mobilising troops, creating plans, drawing up maps and figuring out how they are going to do this, all of it has made him more and more stressed, more and more impatient. He's standing next to Dieq by the fire, a nice warm thing among a world of cold and harsh rain. He's held his sword close to him, in a tight grip ever since he was dethroned.

Anemone and Evangeline are sitting around a small wooden table in the middle of the small hunting cottage. Chepi, as tired as she is, is laying over two chairs with her head in the angel's lap. She's listening in to their conversation, surely. But her mind is spinning, her muscles feel weak, the pain is unbearable and she can barely think at all. She feels like she's constantly getting small heart attacks and it is pulling energy out of her faster than running or flying ever could.