Chapter 13 Continued Part 10

Wednesday 12 August, 2015

I felt him move away from me. I heard things being moved behind me. What was he doing? What had he planned for us tonight? I felt him come back to me. He turned me around to face what he had done. His hands were on my hips.
"Ready?" he asked in my ear.
"Yes." I said. What did I just say yes to?
"Open your eyes." He said. I opened them and my hands flew up to my mouth. I saw a black coloured picnic blanket with a wooden basket on top of it and there was a red rose on top of the basket as well. I was shocked into silence. I couldn't move. I blinked a few times and turned around in his arms. I wrapped my arms around him.
"Thank you." I whispered. I couldn't believe he had done this. This just didn't happen.
"You're welcome." He said quietly. I stepped away from him but grabbed his hand. He squeezed my hand softly. He led me over to the picnic blanket. I sat down next to him. He had the basket on his other side.
"So, what's for dinner?" I asked.
"Are you hungry now or can you wait?" he asked. I thought for a moment.
"I can wait."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." I said.
"Ok." He said. He moved the basket off the blanket, laid down and put his arms under his head. He looked up at the sky. Twenty seconds of courage right? I moved closer to him and laid down next to him. I laid my head on his shoulder and looked up at the sky as well. I felt the left side of his body fall slightly and then felt his hand cover my hands on my stomach. My heart beat quickened but I heard his quicken too when I laid down next to him. I was glad it wasn't only me who felt excited about me being close to him. I knew he felt it too. The sun was setting and you could see it perfectly from here. The sky was bright with different shades of pink, orange, blue and yellow. I felt as if I was in one of those girly movies, the ones about the cute couples and their romantic dates. I still couldn't believe this was happening. I smiled.
"This would be a great spot to look up at the clouds during the day. I used to do it as a kid, look up and see all the different pictures within them." I said out loud. He froze under me for a moment.
"Do you want to then? Tomorrow?"
"Would you mind?" I said cautiously.
"Why would I?" he said. He sounded like himself again. I wonder what happened.
"Thanks. Trust me, it's so much fun." I said.
"I trust you. You hungry yet?"
"Do you want to eat?"
"No, I'm just asking."
"Ok. I'd rather sit here like this." I said. I hadn't meant to say that last bit out loud. It was moments like this that I wished that you could take back what you said but you couldn't. I felt his body jump from surprise. His arm tightened around me.
"Me too." He said. He started playing with my fingers. I wanted to do it. I wanted to kiss him. This was a totally different feeling than last night. Maybe it was because I knew I could kiss him without hurting Sonny. Or maybe it was because I liked him. I didn't know. All I knew was that I felt like kissing him. I felt like having my first kiss right now. Twenty seconds of courage, the little voice in my head said. What? Did it just give me advice? That was new, normally it just criticized me. I took a deep breath and took its advice. What do I say? Hey I want to kiss you? I bit my lip as I remembered what Sonny said she'd do if this ever happened. Do I do it? Just do it already, I thought to myself. I took another deep breath. Why not? You only get to have your first kiss once; why not make it so you never forget?
"I'm hungry." I said. Do I do it like this? This was a weird way to say it. I couldn't stop now though. Well I could. I could just eat dinner. No. I couldn't back down. I'd regret it. I couldn't turn sixteen without my first kiss. Well. It was too late now.
"Ok." He said and started to reach for the picnic basket with his other hand. I sat up and so did he. He started to pull over the basket.
"Can we have dessert first?" I said. My heart was pounding in my chest. I couldn't believe I was saying this. How could I still be talking? How come my cheeks weren't red yet? He stopped and looked at me. His eyes widened.
"Oh crap. I knew I had forgotten something! I'm so sorry." He said. Oh, he hadn't realised what I'd been trying to say. I looked down at my hands then back up at him.
"No that's ok. I wasn't talking about that anyway." I said.
"Then what do you mean?" he asked confused. It was cute.
"I meant this." I said. I turned my whole body toward him and placed a hand on his cheek. My heart pounded inside my chest as I slowly leant toward him. It took him a second to realise what I was doing and when he did he reached out and placed his hands on my waist again. He didn't try to move forward and meet me; he let me come to him. Not because he was lazy but to make sure I wanted this. I did. I was centimetres away from him and he closed his eyes. I closed mine as well. I could feel that I was close to his face, his lips, when all of a sudden 'Scar Tissue' by The Red Hot Chili Peppers started playing. My ringtone.