31

~ Author's Note ~

RIP Dembele.

RENDEZVOUS

Ferran's Perspective

There's a strong, almost desperate, desire in my for those next days to be able to talk to Jadrien. She hadn't given up on me yet. Maybe, when I told her to give up on me during our dinner, she really listened. Maybe... Maybe she finally listened, and now it's too late for me to change my mind.

I swallow.

God, I'm messing this whole thing up, now, aren't I?

On Friday, now a week after our dinner together, I still haven't seen her all week. One week isn't a very long time, but after for so long, seeing her for half of the days in a week, I'm surprised to feel myself seriously, actually missing her. Finally, on Saturday, as I'm boarding the bus alongside Eric, heading to our away game for Sunday, I say to him in a lower tone, so that the whole team doesn't hear, "Hey, I was just wondering... How's your sister doing?"

"Hm?" Eric asks, looking up, his eyebrows going up as well. He's wearing his black framed glasses today- something he often does on travel days. He looks surprised at this question. I guess because I've always been very mindful to make it look like I couldn't give one f*** about Jadrien. While in reality, I actually give many f***s about Jadrien. At least in my head. Luckily, Eric doesn't know what goes on in my head. "Why are you asking?" he asks as we climb up the few steps onto the bus.

"I was just... wondering, you know? I haven't seen her in a while. Just wondering."

"Oh. Well, she's fine. You'll probably see her tomorrow- as far as I know, she's coming to the match."

"Oh, alright," I nod, trying not to sound as pleased about that as I actually am. "Well, that's good to know..."

"Why?" Eric asks me, his eyebrows slightly furrowing.

I shrug. "I dunno. Just good to know."

His eyes linger on me for a few moments too long in the corner of my eye as I walk further into the bus to sit down next to Pedri.

Jadrien's Perspective

As I watch the boys warm up on the pitch before the match, I wish I could force myself not to stare at Ferran. Ferran who tries to pretend he likes me because he feels bad. I wish he would just be honest. And tell me what he's thinking. I wish he would just...

And look at me! Even watching him, I can't stop the flutters! I can't stop the little smile that always naturall forms on my lips! I can't help the want to know him more! I can't any of it, my God! And it's terrible, because I know it's all for nothing. I try so hard, but he doesn't like me. A part of me wonders if I'll always love him. I hope I get over him. It's taking a while, but a bigger part of me wonders if I'll ever even get over him. I mean, there's still a sweet spot in my heart for Phil definitely. Will it someday be like that with Ferran? Will these strong feelings for him someday, in five, ten, years remain as only a sweet spot? Even though I feel so much pain loving him so much right now, and a huge part of me wants to stop, I actually find myself feeling more pain at the prospect of not loving him anymore someday. And I can't even tell why that could be.

I want him so bad.

And all the sudden, something different happens.

He passes the ball to Dembele, before turning towards me. He grabs his water, and across the distance that we are apart, instead of just glancing back away like I would expect him to, he does something unexpected. A little adorable smile appears on his face the moment our eyes meet. They meet, and he waves. Friendly. I'm so stiff in surprise, I almost forget to wave back.

Out of everyone here, he sees me.

And he waves to me.

Butterflies glore.

The match ends up being a really good one. All the boys do well, but I don't really watch the match. My mind is so full of thoughts about him.

The moment the match ends, I text Eric, asking him if he knows about what Ferran could be doing after the match. He says he'll ask, before texting me back and saying if I meet him at a specific rendezvous, which we decide, that Ferran will be with him.

So of course, instead of going anywhere else, when I stand up out of my seat and leave the stadium, I start heading to our rendezvous.

I sit down on the bench, because of course I'm there a lot earlier than the boys. I just fiddle around on my phone, doing things for work. Scheduling a day in which I'm going to have to be going to a fashion show for some rich clothes brand I don't care about. It's always fun though. I love to look beautiful, and show myself off in front of so many people.

Of course the real person I want to show myself off in front of is Ferran, but... Right.

Soon enough, after some length of time, I hear the two pairs of footsteps, and stand up when I see Eric and Ferran turn the corner. My brother is wearing a dark red hoodie with the hood up, jeans, and an expensive watch, while Ferran is dressed in a backwards baseball cap, a Puma hoodie, and sweatpants. It's a pretty cool evening, and I've been getting goosebumps and shivers this whole time in my tight t-shirt, ripped jean shorts, and sandals, so I decide that their way of dressing, although clearly more for comfort, is much smarter than mine, which is a tad bit more for fashion.

"Hey, Jade," Eric nods, sitting down next to me. Ferran remains standing as Eric asks me, "What's up?"

"Uh... Nothing much..." I say faintly, unable to take my eyes off Ferran, who is looking at me... very... sincerely? Is that what that is?

"Hey, Eric," he suddenly says. "I know this is weird, but can I have a word with your sister? Alone?"