The Future

As the best friends walk back towards campus, Alex asks, "Did you have fun Jere?"

"Yes! Um, 'Jere'?"

"It's a great nickname right?"

"No yeah I like it!" He softly nudges Alex who walks alongside him, "So, Nicky, he's cool."

"He's something alright." Alex smiles fondly.

"Hm. You guys are close." Jeremy points out.

"Yeah. He's one of my best buds. Besides you guys!"

"Yeah? Aw. You and Jean are some of my best buds too." Jeremy smiles at them.

After some silence he mentions, "You don't really talk with Kevin, do you?"

"No. I guess not, huh?" He shrugs.

"You don't text then do you?" Jeremy thinks back to Jean saying he sometimes texts with his ex-best friend.

"Nope."

...

It's super close to the end of the exy season and end of the school year. Jean and Alex are hanging out in Jeremy and Connor's dorm on the weekend. The two sit together with Jeremy on his bed.

"Do you know where you guys are going to end up after this, after college?" Jeremy questions.

"Hopefully Jean and I join the same pro team." Alex peeks at him.

"Right. Have teams been reaching out?"

"Oh yeah. Jean has a lot, even in France, their new team wants him.

"It would be cool if I'm near you guys."

"That'd be nice." Alex smiles softly.

"Maybe close enough we could share a place together," He laughs, "Split the cost, right? That would help me out."

"Yeah. Yeah... I guess we'll see."

Jeremy pulls out his phone to look for the email from his first choice team, "I really might join this one in New York and live in the city."

"We got offers from one in New York too!" Alex exclaims.

"Really? Then think about it, that would work out good!"

"Oh yeah. I was going to go with them." Jean looks to Alex.

"Then me too." He grins at Jean.

Jeremy leans over to show them the email on his phone, "Here. They're so close to the city, they're my number one choice right now."

"Mm. Yeah, I guess we're going with the other New York team. We'll be right by the city as well." He looks pointedly to Jean.

"Cool. Can we look at places soon? Once we respond to the teams of course." Jeremy flashes the guys a smile.

"Sure. Sounds good." Jean simply nods in response.

Connor walks in from the living room, "Yo. What're we talking about?" He sits on his bed across the room and settles in against his pillows, still facing them.

"Our plans after graduation."

"Oh dang. That's so soon." To Jeremy he says, "I'm still looking for a job."

"What are your plans?" Alex asks.

"Getting a good job with my degree, right. And then living somewhere close to my family out here."

Alex nods, "Your own place, nice."

"Oh yeah! Gotta start searching for an apartment."

"Speaking of, guess who's gonna search for a place with me." Jeremy beams.

"With you?!" Connor raises his eyebrows.

"These guys!" Jeremy points at the two, "We're going to the same place!"

"Oh yeah? You guys joining a team all together or what?"

"Two separate teams, same area." Alex explains.

"Alright, cool. Yeah, splitting rent is smart."

"I know!" Jeremy lays back on his bed and sighs, looking at the ceiling, "It'll be great!"

"Someone's excited." Connor smirks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"So excited!" Jeremy admits.

Alex lays down next to him and smiles, "Me too."

That night in their dorm, Alex and Jean respond to their emails from the team. They say how grateful they are for the offers to join.

In his dorm Jeremy does the same, laying in bed he emails back the coach from his team. As soon as the following day they all get a reply being happily accepted to their new teams.

--------------------