Chapter 5

Hajime P.O.V.

(Time Skip: The Night Right After Monokuma Appeared)

I felt my knees wobble as I looked through the newly added rules that had been left in Monokuma's wake. I shuddered. So... He was actually serious...

I wanted to scream. I wanted to slam down my E-Handbook and smash it to pieces. I honestly would've, but something told me in the back of my head that if I did, something bad would happen to me. Though, that seemed to be the thoughts that I would always hear ever since that day.

My thoughts then trailed to Nagito. How was he feeling about this? Was he still calm? Or was he as scared as I was, too? I then thought back to the features on the E-Handbook. It allowed anyone to text or call anyone else on the island, but only those people. It was late, but maybe Nagito was up, too? He couldn't help but wonder.

I looked at my E-Handbook again and went to my contacts and tapped on Nagito's. I tired sending a text to him.

Hajime: Hey...R U awake?

I waited for what seemed like forever, until finally, PING! I checked the device.

Nagito: Yeah? You can't sleep either?

 I typed my response slowly.

Hajime: Yeah... How could U tho after what happened

Nagito: Yeah, I know how you feel. I can't believe all this happened. Maybe you were right to be worried. Haha...

Hajime: Yeah, maybe...

There weren't any messages for a good long while. 

PING!

Nagito: Do you wanna talk? I'm not all that great at socializing, so I'll try not to be a bore...

Hajime: Nah, UR not a bore.

Nagito: That means a lot. Thank you.

I read the last text out loud. What...did that mean? It means a lot? Is this kind of stuff rare to him? I kept thinking about it before I finally realized that Nagito was probably waiting for a response.

Hajime: So... What do U like to do?

Nagito: Well, You probably wouldn't find any of it very interesting, but I like to read, kinda like to write, and kinda relax, I guess? Watch shows, too.

Hajime: Pretty much me in a nutshell. Minus the writing.

Nagito: Ah, okay. So you like to read? What's your favorite genre?

I gave the question some thought before finally replying.

Hajime: Adventure, mystery, SOMETIMES drama, but not very often.

Nagito: I haven't really spent a lot of time with you, but that already sounds exactly like you lol.

I thought about this. It sounded like me? What did Nagito think of me then?

Hajime: So...What about you?

Nagito: Oh. Um... Fictional horror, Murder-mystery, mystery, drama, stuff like that.

What counted as stuff like that? Hajime became intrigued.

Hajime:  Do you have a favorite book/show?

Nagito: Uhm... if I had to pick, I'd probably say Girl in Pieces for book and Love, Victor for show.

I furrowed my eyebrows. None of it seemed familiar.

Hajime: Can you give me a summary on each?

Nagito: Well... they're both about different touchy subjects...

I rolled my eyes.

Hajime: IDC.

Nagito: Well... Girl in Pieces is about a girl recovering from her very painful past. Basically she tried to kill herself and the whole book starts off with her in the mental hospital. Love, Victor is about a teenage boy named Victor (hence the name) who is gay and is trying to kinda figure out how to kinda...I don't know exactly. It's basically just about a gay guy who goes through very drama filled everyday life. I'm pretty sure it's a sequel to a movie called Love, Simon.

I took a bit to read the paragraph. Damn. That first part was dark. The second one...honestly sounded interesting.

Hajime: They both sound rly interesting. Especially the second one. 

Nagito: Oh. Um. Thank you.

Hajime: Mhm.

There was a long moment where nothing transpired between either of us, and before I knew it, I forgot all about what had happened today. I yawned.

Hajime: Well, I think I might go to bed. Thanks for talking to me even tho its late at night.

Nagito: Of course. Let me know if you ever want to talk again.

I felt myself smile as I read the last text. Nagito... really was a nice person.

I closed my eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep, letting darkness sweep over me.