Chapter 35

Hajime P.O.V.

Me and Chiaki were in the lounge. We had just called Fuyuhiko, telling him about what had happened over on our side. We were now awaiting for a call back, so that they could tell us what evidence they had found.

I guess I must've dozed off, because while me and Chiaki were waiting, I heard His voice.

"Sleeping at a time like this? Tch. How arrogant." I opened my eyes, and saw Nagito standing before me.

"N-Nagito-!?" I blushed, thinking about the conversation me and Chiaki had yesterday. "Wait, how did you get here?" I turned to Chiaki. "Did you see him?"

"He... He just... appeared." She said, apparently as taken aback as I was.

"Jeez... I went through all that work, only to be greeted by your stupid face." My eyes widened. S-Stupid-!? What was he going on about!?

"N-Nagito! What the hell-!" I shouted.

"Oh, do shut up, will you? You're getting annoying. And plus, you're way too loud." What... Happened? Why is he acting like this-!? He didn't have the despair disease again, did he-!?

"You don't have the-"

"Damn, can you listen for once? I don't want to hear your voice." He said, sounding annoyed. When he had the disease... His voice usually didn't match what he was saying... So why does it sound so real..? "And, no, I don't have the disease. That was a motive, remember? And if I did have it, I'd have already collapsed from poor health." He waited a bit before continuing. "Ah, but of course, a stupid, useless, and utterly worthless wannabe such as yourself would never be able to come to that conclusion on your own, now would you. After all, you're the dumbest one here. Even more than that stupid glutton, Owari."

"H-Hey-! What happened to you-! Why are you acting like this-?" I asked. Not believing what I was hearing.

"Really? You haven't even noticed?" He then held up a book in front of me. "See, Hinata? Book. B-O-O-K. Book." He said mockingly.

"Yes, I understand what a book is."

"Oh really? Maybe you're a little smarter than I originally thought." He rolled his eyes. "Anyway... I ended up coming across some very useful information while I was in the Final Dead Room."

"W-Wait... You actually-"

"Yes, I actually went in there. Surprise, surprise!" He said, still in a mocking tone.

What the hell happened to this guy-? What happened to the... The kind-hearted Nagito Komaeda that I knew? That I... Lo-

"Wait... So does that mean you played the life-risking game?" Chiaki asked.

"Oh? So the game-obsessed girl that won't ever shut up or stop bragging about her video games finally realized part of what I went through? Wow, you're a lot smarter than Hinata over here, aren't you?" He chuckled. "Well, like I said, he is the dumbest one here."

"SH-SHUT UP-!" I found myself yelling. I don't know what came over me. Sure, he probably deserved it... But I still didn't want to say that to him... not again...

"Should a lowly Reserve Course Student really be talking so out of line? You will speak when spoken to." He ordered, bringing his finger to his face. "So shut up, unless you want me to do it for you."

"R-Reserve Course-?! What the hell is going on!?" I wanted to say more, to shout at him, but he stopped me.

Before I knew it, he had made his way over to me. With a smirk, he punched my stomach harshly, and I fell to the ground, coughing and wheezing.

"Really? You're that weak? Jeez... And I really didn't want to touch you, what with all your disgustingly filthy germs..."

I coughed again. "Oh stand up, will you? I don't want you so close to my feet. I'm afraid you'll start to lick them with your disgusting saliva."

"Hey, Komaeda, what's with that book in your hands?" Chiaki said, stopping him before he could do or say anything anymore.

"Oh? You're that curious, are you? Well, if you'd like to know that badly... It's a record... Of Hinata, here. From Hope's Peak. Has his profile and everything." He explained.

"W-What-!?" I said, rising to my feet.

"I don't remember giving you permission to speak." He said rudely.

"I don't care! Tell me what was in there! Was all of that seriously just stuff about me!?" I asked, starting to grow furious.

"Exactly." He smirked. "And it turns out... You don't even have a talent! Hopeless, isn't it!?" He let out a laugh and leaned in towards me, pushing his finger into my chest. "You're just a lowly Reserve Course Student that the Academy used to get money from to help pay for the Main Course's supplies, wants, and needs. You are nothing. You are lower than even me. You're worse than scum. Can you believe it!?" He gave me a truly twisted smile, and I was so taken aback, that I froze, and couldn't speak.

What happened to him-? I asked myself again. Wait... Didn't he say that... he hated talentless people..? So he...

He hated me..?

Hated me?

Me?

Hated me.

He hates me.

"Aha... The look on you face... It truly is... Ah, I shouldn't finish that. I've got more important things to do. I don't want to spend all my time on someone like you." And just like that, he left, without giving me a single look or glance.

He left.

Left, without giving me a single look or glance.

He left, without giving me a single look or glance.

He... He had left me.

He had given up on me.

He didn't want to see me.

He...

He hated me.

He despised me.

I...

Hated him, too?

Did I...

Hate...

Him...

?