Chapter 3

I waited a few minutes before "mystery boy" had finally woken up. 

"Hey, can you hear me? Are you okay? You seem to be pretty out of it..." I said when he started to open his eyes.

"To be honest, I-" I stopped myself. No, don't make this about you. You're lucky to even be here with any Ultimate. Do not be selfish. "No, everyone feels the same. Since...we suddenly got dumped in this weird situation." The boy showed no response at all. "Hey, are you listening?"

He blinked, and he sat up suddenly. "Woah, there. You only just woke up. Don't hurt yourself..." I said, concerned.

"That's right..." He mumbled.

"Hm?" I asked. "What was that?"

"N-Nothing." He sat up, a little woozy. I stretched out my arms in front of him. "Please, don't over-exert yourself..."

"I'm fine." He said flatly.

Awkward silence.

"So, uh...Do you remember anything? About what happened?" I asked. The quiet was too... empty. Usually I liked it, but this wasn't the type that I liked.

"Yeah...there was that weird rabbit...Usami. And then...We got whisked away on a tropical island..?" He replied.

"It would seem so," I said.

"No, that's wrong!" He suddenly burst out. Huh? "How can that be right? We were just in a classroom...And now...all traces of it are gone?! NOT POSSIBLE."

"I get you're pretty freaked out. Trust me, we all are. But I think it's best if we try to forget about it...You'll spend too much time worrying about it, and time will fly like that," I snapped my fingers.

"FORGET ABOUT IT?" Uh, oh. I pissed him off. "How do you forget something like THAT?!"

"Ah, I'm sorry I upset you. I wish I could take it back now..." I didn't necessarily mean to say the last part out loud, but he didn't seem to mind.

More silence.

"So... What's your name?" I asked. Even I was getting a little tired of calling him "mystery boy".

 "Oh. I'm Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you." He said, holding out his hand. That... was a bit of a personality change. I pondered over the thought on whether or not I should take it. In the end, I did.

"Same to you. I'm Nagito Komaeda." I said, shaking his hand gently. It was warm, and considerably soft. It made something hurt in my chest.

He let go of my hand. I already...missed it? No, I didn't miss it, what the hell was I thinking? "So...You were supposed to attend Hope's Peak, right? What's your talent?"

He really had to strike there, didn't he?

"Ah, well, it's not really a talent..." I let on.

"Not really a talent? What is it then?" He asked.

I wanted to avoid this as much as possible, but it seems it's inevitable. "Well, you see... Hope's  Peak does a lottery every year, one where whoever wins it will be dubbed "the Ultimate Lucky Student", and they get into the school for free. I just happened to be the guy who won it this year!" I said, trying to "cheerfulness" in the best way possible. But deep down, no not even deep, I knew that it was mostly a lie. Not a full one, but close enough to it that I almost felt like it was.

"Luck..? Definitely not what I was expecting..." Hajime said, eyebrows furrowed. 

"Trust me, it really shouldn't be considered a talent at all. It was just mere chance. Sure, it was one in a billion, but still." I said. I then realized. Wait, what was his talent again? "That reminds me, I don't think I remember you telling me your talent."