Points-18

Jalen P.O.V
Tonight was the night of nights. It was going to be a night to remember.

Prom. I had my prom tux all ready and I couldn't wait for tonight. I was wearing green. Well, the pants were black, but the jacket was a clever green and I had a black shirt with a green bow tie. My shoes were black and green and although I wasn't able to pull up to school in a Rolls Royce I had something better.

Darnell had a connect with a car rental guy and was able to get us a green and black Bentley Continental GTC. We'll really me since Kevin and I weren't going together for obvious reasons. He was going with Nia so they were riding together and were riding in a Caddy. Real smooth and classic. They were wearing black and red.

My dad was surprised that I didn't have a date, but I didn't understand why. He knows how I am. I guess because I'm attractive he just expected me to have a date. Nah. If I couldn't go with who I wanted to I was going along. I know Darnell wouldn't have wanted to come and I'm not sure if he could anyway. I think the oldest your date could be was 22 for my school. He would have said no even if it was 40 and I wasn't about to embarrass myself so I didn't even bring it up in a playful manner.

I got into my dad's car after getting my hair cut and he looked over at me with a big smile.

"Ooooooo! Ok, son! I see you nigga. The clean cut looking fresh and clean just like yo daddy. I see where you get the looks from. It's like looking in a mirror lil nigga," he spoke making me laugh at him and dap him up.

"I already know dad. It should be illegal to look this good," I said to him as I looked at my cut in the mirror.

"Damn right," he spoke making me laugh. "Oh, reach in that glovebox and take out that box. It's for you. I hope I wasn't being too over the top, but I just wanted you to really understand that I support you and I love you for you. I know we ain't talk as much as we should since everything, but I want you to know that what we That's been going on with you I'm here. I hope this isn't too much,"

I opened the box up and looked inside before letting out a slight chuckle. In the box were diamond rainbow cufflinks for my tux. They were really nice. It wasn't too much seeing as they were in a row. It was going to be dark anyway so it would be fine. Nobody would see them.

"Thank you, dad. You didn't do too much this is really nice. Thank you for supporting me. This actually means a lot to me because it's like I can take that new part of me to prom and wear it on my sleeve. Literally. Thank you, dad. I love you," I told him as I reached over hugging him.

"Of course son. I'm glad you like them and I love you too," he spoke before we headed back home. It was getting closer to that time. "Why did you paint your nails?"

"I don't know...is that bad?" I asked him as he looked over at me for a split second.

"I wa-...hold up son. Hello?" He spoke cutting himself off before picking up the phone and talking to it like that instead of through the car. Must be the divorce lawyers. We're about to lose everything. He doesn't want me to know how bad it is, but it's bad.

We're apartment hunting right now. He told me not to worry about it tonight because it was prom night, but now I'm worrying about multiple things. One of the things being my nails being painted. It was kind of on a whim. I wanted to do it so I did it. They're all black and one is green they'll match my suit.

I hope he isn't mad or that he thinks I've gone too far now. I live for my dad's approval. The way he just looked at my hand though had me feeling like he's upset about it.

I just wanted to try something new...I guess I shouldn't have.

I hope Darnell doesn't react the same way...shit he probably will. What too you know acts like me? I'm embarrassed now. I went to my IG and deleted the pictures off of my story and checked my DMs.