Chapter Fourteen

Kristina's POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

I sit up in bed, my heart thudding in my chest. The white door that lead into my little bedroom was cracked ajar, the light from the hall illuminating the purple glittery butterfly stickers I had stuck on my walls months before.

I sucked on the pacifier in my mouth as I climbed out of my pink canopy bed, choking back my fear of the dark. When my tiny feet brushed the soft plush of the carpet, I let myself drop down onto the floor, a dull thud sounding on contact.

Padding over to the bedroom door, I stretched up high on the tips of my toes, wrapping my hand around the silver door handle and pulled the door open with a creak, letting more of the orange glow ignite my doll filled room.

Clutching Mr. SnuggleBug to my chest, I stepped out into the hall, the cold of the wooden floor making me shiver. I walked silently across the hall and peered through the crack where the door was slightly ajar. I was looking in my mothers room. It was dark, the curtains drawn and the light off but I could hear the small sniffles coming from the big lump in the bed.

Mommy was crying.

I buried my face into Mr. snuggleBugs head and inhale that sweet strawberry scent as I entered my mothers room.

My head just came past the mattress in her double bed but that didn't stop me from scrambling up on to the empty space next to her.

As I snuggled closer to my mother beneath the warmth of the covers, I noted how strained her face looked as she dreamt of something terrible. I reached a tiny pink nailed varnished hand up and gently swept away the tear falling down her cheek.

The crease between her furrowed brows eased.

"Momma." I whispered, snuggling closer to her chest. My feet reached just past her belly button. She cried out, jerking as if someone had tried to grab her. "Momma? Wake up! It's me, momma."

She stirred briefly and I felt her arm come around my waist as she brought me closer. I hid my face in her chest, tears pricking my eyes.

Momma was crying.

"Momma." I croak, twisting my hand into the hem of her red shirt like I always use to. "Momma, wake up. You crying momma. It's wakey time."

She jerked with a gasp, her chest heaving. She was awake.

"Momma?" I drew back, looking at her angular face in the dark. The majority of her tears had dried on her flushed cheeks but more were still falling. I brushed them away with a feather light touch.

"Did you have a niny, momma?"

"Yes." She whispers, bursting my frizzy blonde locks back from my chubby face. "But it was only a dream. It wasn't real."

She wasn't talking to me.

"The monsters in your niny can't get you anymore, momma. You told Krissy that, 'member?"

"Yes, I remember." She's cups the back of my head and brings in back to her chest, I nuzzle her neck. Momma smells like cookies. "And that's what I'm afraid of."

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

"I'm fine, mom, really." I say into the phone as I stare at my reflection in my bedroom mirror. I was wearing an brightly coloured strapless Aztec styled crop top that was covered with a grey tank top that hung low at the sides, exposing the the shirt I bore beneath and a pair of ripped denim shorts were clinging tightly to my exposed thighs. My feet, though, we're bare since I was still inside.