Chapter Twenty Seven

Remember to comment.

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Kristina's POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Teeth clamped down on my shoulder, scraping lightly against my skin, enough for it to be a warning. I slammed my paws down hard into the earth, slowing my momentum enough to make the cart behind us rattle with its decrease in lighting fast speed without tail ending and throwing its inhabitants out head first. Wheels draped against my back legs, chaffing the skin there until my fur broke loose and my skin peeled open. The wooden barrier of the wagon slammed into my back causing it to jerk suddenly halt. My back bowed slightly and I let out a tiny growl of pain as my mate beside me skidded along the dirt, slamming his shoulder up against the cart as he pivoted, lessening the blow against me as a result.

The wagon banged to a stop and I panted heavily, sending Kyle a wide eyed look, questioning his actions silently. He bared his teeth at me, a low growl rumbling in his chest as he tossed his head to the right, hinting at the danger he'd warned me of. I stilled. Inhaling deeply. Something longed there, a strong scent of decay. Rot and decay.

I bared my teeth, hackles rising.

Who?

Who was it lurking in the shadows, watching us, stalking us like prey? Thinking we were pray. I was not prey.

Kyle took an offensive stance, turning in the direction of there that scent proved strongest, staring. Angling himself in front of us all, the protector. But I didn't need protecting.

A power, a empowering strength thrummed anew through my veins. Charging me. Strengthening me. A power I did not know. A power I did not shy from. A power I would use.

I stepped up beside him.

"Uhhh ... Guys?" Came Luca's hesitant voice. I snapped my teeth at him, quietening him without words as I scanned the underbrush. He eased back in the wagon, crouching protectively over Josh's prone form, following our line of sight to the lingering threat. There was only one scent though. Strong but weak at the same time. It was ... confusing to say the least. Fear, I could detect fear. Lingering in my nostrils, a watery scent and with it, hesitance, which I could sense more than anything else.

What was going on with me?

My temples began to throb.

A low growl escaped from Kyle's lips, his canines dripping with saliva as his rogue feralness showing through. I did not shy from it. I rose along side it.

Whoever was out there, whoever was watching them, she would not whimper and hide behind her mate again, she would tear him apart piece by piece if he so much as dared approach them with danger in his eyes.

A twig snapped and a rush of air tickled against the foliage and then he was gone.

Whoever her was.

We stood still for a moment, scenting, thrumming with awareness, waiting for his return.

He did not come back.