Chapter 11

"Congrats, Gunner!"

The people around me greeted me as I walked past them, while I just gave them a nod acknowledging their presence. It was my Mom's organized party for my exam. I passed it and was the top nother.

It was held in one of our hotels and as much as I wanted to make it intimate, Mom and Dad won't let it happen. It was a formal dinner party and I am now wearing my suit.

I roamed my eyes and when I found the table of my cousins, kaagad akong lumapit. I walked towards their table and they quickly noticed my presence.

"Gunner! I know you will do good." Gaston quickly greeted me.

Umupo naman ako sa gitna ni Pierec at El. "What's the next plan, Gunner?"

I looked at Pierce beside me and breathed in deeply. "I'm the only next in line for my father's position."

I heard Gaston chuckling. "I'm sure you will do good too."

Well, I hope so. It will be hard but I don't have a choice. I am just so glad that I am passionate about it. Just what if I choose a different path? Paano na lang ang kompanya?

"Anak…Hi there!" I heard Mom's voice behind me.

"Hello, Tita! You are really looking younger than before." I heard Gaston's compliment Mom.

Mom chuckled. "You are always saying that Gaston...but let me have my son first. May mga ipapakilala lang ako."

"No worries po." I looked at El as she smiled at Mom lightly.

Kaya wala na akong nagawa ng hilahin niya ako. I can't help but swallow hard because I already know where this is going.

I am sure this was one of my Mom's agenda when she decided to throw this party.

She held my arms and I already knew what the next conversation would be.

"Slyvia...this is my son, Gunner." I looked at the woman in front of us and my eyes transferred next to her daughter, probably, which was just right beside her too.

"Of course, Solel. Everybody knows your son." She laughed as she looked at me. "A very handsome young man and very intelligent too." She added more.

Nanatili lamang akong tahimik habang nakikinig sa pag uusap nila.

"And oh by the way, my daughter, Catherine!" She held her daughter's arms too as she looked at me.

"I think you are the same age. She is studying medicine right now." She proudly introduces her.

I looked at her one more time and noticed her long wavy hair. Hindi ko maiwasang mapalunok ng malalim.

It was just like hers.

"Really? Does she have a boyfriend?" Mom asked excitedly and that was the moment I got back to my senses.

No. I don't want this conversation anymore. I don't want it in the first place either.

"Of course none. She is very studious and you know…I am quite strict." She chuckled then she looked at me. "But if it's your son then, I probably won't mind it."

Mom laughed with her while her daughter couldn't even look at me. She looks so shy. 

Tumaas lamang ang kilay ko at nanatiling seryoso. I breathed in deeply, I need to get out of here already.

"Mom, I need to go to the restroom." I whispered.

Naputol ang tawanan nila at muli siyang napatingin sa akin. Mom looked at me like she knew that I was lying. Well, I don't care. I don't wanna be involved with their conversation, especially since I know what she is thinking right now.