Home

Chapter 1

I open my eyes and see long, green grass. I look up and see my mothers black face with her deep brown eyes, sparkling with happiness to see her new foal alive and well. She licks my face and nickers to me softly, slowly gets up and waits to see me wobble up to my feet. I take a look around and see horses, lots of horses.

" Welcome little one, I am your mother, Sierra." She said nuzzling me.

" Hello, what's my name?" I ask. Then suddenly a huge red roan stallion gallops up to my mother and gives a high pitched whinny.

" Sierra, why did you run o-" He stares at me with huge brown eyes.

" H-hi." I stutter, hiding behind mom's tail. He slowly walks over and nuzzles me.

" Welcome to the Two Eagles Herd, where you are safe and there are no two leggeds." He says to me with kindness in his voice.

" Who are you? Who am I?" I ask, shaking with fear because of the big, intimidating stranger.

" I am called Big Red. And you are my daughter, Willow." He says to me with kind eyes. He nuzzles mom and trots back to the black, white, palomino, bay, pinto and appaloosa spotted herd. A few hours after meeting the herd and other foals, mom and I went down to the lake for a drink. I stare at myself in the rippling water, how my face is black on one side then on the other white takes over with my pretty blue eye matching the cloudless sky. I watch the waterfall slope down the mountain when I'm suddenly pushed into the shallow water. I turn to see Wildfire, a red colt that I met half an hour ago,

" Wildfire! Why did you do that?!" I nicker to him playfully.

" Well I figured you and I needed a swim before we go." He says, almost jumping on me.

" Willow and Wildfire, we're leaving!" My mother neighs to us, her and Wildfires mom, Lace, were best friends since birth.

" Hurry up willow, you are daydreaming again!" My mother neighs. I lope back up to the herd and we start to gallop to a place called Nevada. After a few hours of running we stop for a rest. I find Mom and want to know some stuff.

" Mom, what are we? Where is Nevada? And, what is a two legged?" I curiously ask.

" We are called Mustangs, Nevada is a few miles west of here and a two legged is a human. They catch us and make us work for them." Mom whispers in between mouthfuls of grass. I run off to find Wildfire.

" He's in the forest, sweetie." Lace sweetly says to me. I lope off to find him. Soon, I find him at a beautiful pond in the middle of the woods.

" Hey, Wild-" I say before being interrupted by Wildfire.

" Shhhh!" He has a horrified look on his face.

" What is it? Why are you scared?" I whisper in his ear.

" Big... Bear." He says, shaking so hard I can feel him shaking. And then I see it. A huge grizzly bear, tearing hot flesh off a freshly killed deer. I feel the wind blowing behind my ears and then I realize the wind is carrying our scent towards the bear. Oh great. He swoops his huge head towards us and growls, bares his teeth and charges towards us!

" RUN!" Wildfire neighs. My heart is beating so fast, I don't know what to do. I feel a tug on my mane and turn and bolt, hearing the bears thundering steps behind us.

" FATHER! MOTHER!" I scream at them. They lift their heads and my mother gives a shrill whinny to the herd, and turns the herd away from the bear (that's her job). And my father gallops, faster than I've ever seen him gallop, to us and then disappear behind us. I peek behind us and see that the bear is after my father. I turn and stop.

" Willow, come on! Let's go." Wildfire whinnys to me, I turn my head and say;

" No." And gallop off with father and the bear in sight.

Sierras POV
I finally got the herd to safety from Nanook, the bear. I wonder how far away Red, Wildfire and Willow are. Wait, is that? Yeah, it is! Wildfire! I lope over to him.

" Are you okay? Where's Red and Willow?" I ask. He is breathing really hard and his legs are shaking.

" She ran after Big Red, I told her we have to go back but s-she turned and said, No, then galloped off towards them." He says with sweat dripping down his forelock. I lead him back to the herd and ask Lace to take care of the herd for a bit. I'm finding my daughter.

Big Red's POV
I'm still bringing the bear to Fire Canyon. I hope his son wasn't with him. Sierra will bring the herd to safety, I know she will. I'm getting to the canyon, and I have to fight Nanook to get back to the herd, Sierra and Willow. There is the canyon, I have to turn around.

Willow's POV
I am still running behind them when the bear slows down and stops, I do the same and lope into the bushes. Father is facing the bear, he's going to fight him!

The bear bares his teeth and starts charging at father, he swiftly moves out of the way and bites the back of the bears neck. He kicks him on the hindquarters. The bear runs away in an easy defeat and Red starts to lope back, I wait a few minutes before trotting off to find Red. I don't see any hoof tracks, and I'm getting hungry. Plus it's getting to be night time. I stop and take a nap in a tree grove. When I wake up the moon is high and there is something in the bushes snapping a stick. The bear?! I lope out and run into some thing hard. I look up. Sierra! She nuzzles me and Big Red emerges form the bush. We gallop back to the herd, almost everyone is sleeping except for Lace, Lilly and Wildfire.

Authors Note:
Thanks for reading!
P.S. The foal on the front is Willow:)
-Acacia
{Edited}