Runaway

Chapter 11

I wake up to the sound of footsteps approaching us inside the barn. The stalls are open stalls, so I can interact with Wildfire. I nudge him awake and he nickers, welcoming Tony and Molly.

" Good morning my dears!" Molly happily says rubbing Wildfires forehead, she goes to rub mine and I bob my head up and down. She giggles and jumps over to Tony, pecking him on the lips and runs to get some hay. He helps her out throwing the hay into Wildfire's stall as Molly throws in mine. They go inside and make their breakfast while we eat ours.

" So, how was your sleep?" I ask him, nudging his neck.

" Good, and yours?" he replies, taking a sip out of his water bucket.

" It was the best since-" I say before being cut off.

" Shhh, don't talk about him," he exclaims.

" It will only make you feel worse." he says, touching my nose with his.

Molly comes skipping down the driveway and closes the barn door behind her, grabbing our hanging halters from the hooks. She throws Tony Wildfire's black one and carefully, slips my new purple one on, avoiding poking me in my eyes. She tacks me up, quick like a fox and quickly teaches Tony how to do up this kind of saddle. She finishes up with him, a few boring minutes later and mount. They didn't need to pack anything. Molly said to her dad before we left;

"We don't need anything! It has my clothes and Tony brought some food. The cabin has blankets, five beds, a nice kitchen and two bathrooms."

So the ride is just, a girl and tack. They ride us out at around six that morning and it isn't a long way home.

We gallop past Creekside Waterfall, I wish we could've gone there. And we also gallop past a new trail leading up a mountain. When we get home, Hillary is loading up Fire in a white, dirt stained trailer.

" Hey! What are you doing?" Molly yells, jumping off my back. I follow obediently.

" Isn't it obvious? I am showing Fire in this years show jumping competition." She scoffs, struggling to close the back of the trailer.

" No, she isn't ready to compete, she is in the middle of her-" She continues before being cut off.

" Is she your horse? No, so back off and leave me alone." She snaps, hoping into the truck and drives away. Sometimes I just want to kick her head off! Tony dismounts off of Wildfire and brings Molly in, a tight hug.

" Don't let her get to you." He says, kissing her forehead. They lead us back into the old, worn out barn and untack us. Our backs dark with sweat. They quickly brush us and check our hooves, letting Wildfire in his stall, leaving me hooked up to the cross ties. Molly slowly approaches me with something behind her back, Hillary drives back in and leads Fire out into the pasture.

" What are you looking at!" She scoffs at Molly, she ignores it and returns her gaze to me.

" Which hand?" She playfully asks, smirking. I sniff her right hand and nudge it.

" Good girl!" She praises, allowing me to take the crunchy carrot. She leads me into my stall, clicks my lead off and shuts the stall door. She leans on it with her elbows planted on the top.

"I am going to miss you," she whispers, tears falling from her eyes.

" When I go back, you could be gone. This isn't goodbye but a 'see you later'." She continues, embracing my neck. I don't understand, she goes and then stays for a day or two than leaves again?

" Be good, ok?" She asks looking into my eyes, with tears flowing down her cheeks, her eyes red and nose stuffy. I press my forehead into her chest and she rubs my neck gently.