Helicopter

Chapter 24
Three months later...

The thumping in the sky fades away, and I lead Jass, Ruthless, Starstruck, and Cypress back to the hiding place. For the last few weeks, a helicopter was watching and circling us. The melting snow sloshes under our hooves and Cypress sneezes. Jassy has grown quite a bit and is eating grass. Oh, am I proud of her! Spring is finally arrived and now the cold, dark nights of winter are over. Most of the snow has melted and the creek is gushing with water. History nickers to us and Myth actually is happy to see me.

" Willow! Are the foals okay?" she lopes up and checks them out.

" Thank you for bringing them to safety from those humans. I swear they are planning to do something." Myth believes that the humans are going to run us into a pen and take the foals away. They have just tried once to herd us away, but History led us away. Wildfire neighs to me as I approach the middle of the herd. Horses move out of the way for Wildfire to come loping down towards me. He has earned the second most respected horse in the herd, other than History. In the winter, he saved Starstruck and Jassy from getting killed by a pack of wolfs. Everyone knew that with History and him, they would be safe.

" Willow! Are you okay? Are the foals okay?!" He sounds anxious.

" Yes, and yes. I got them to safety behind the bushes." He happily nuzzles me and trots over to the foals. Sometimes he can be as stubborn as a mule, other times he can act like a total colt, and then he can be a nice, protective stallion. Crisp and Misty walk over and talk to me about the flying creature (the helicopter). I kind of change the subject, to calm them down, and bring up when I said we would only be a few days and then it turns out to be a few months!
-------------
The lush grass slides down my throat and I take another bite of that green goodness. The creek has become a little bit warmer than it was in the winter, so it doesn't freeze your throat when you drink. I trot over to the creek and take a few drinks and look back at the herd. A beautiful sunrise shines behind us and everyone is sleeping, some standing and with heads low, others laying down. I start to walk over to the middle, when I suddenly hear a distant thumping. I throw my head up into the air and search for a helicopter. I can't see any, but I can definitely hear it.

I anxiously paw the ground, but nobody even flinches. We've been hearing it for the past few days, but none show up in eye sight, so I figure it's just me again and continue on my morning meal.

Wildfire's POV

I blink my eyes open and notice Willow, grazing near the creek. The sun reflecting off her beautiful, black and white coat. I turn my head and prick my ears forwards, noticing a sound. The sound echoes through the valley and into my ears. Thump, thump, thump. I wheel my body towards Willow and lope over.

" Willow. Do you hear that?" My voice fills with fear.

" Yeah, I think we have to get out of here!" She has white rimmed eyes.

" I think your right!" I spin around and neigh back to the herd. A few wake and trot over, but Misty, History and Myth are still sleeping. Juno notices that they didn't move and he pulls on their manes or tails, waking them up. History neighs at the herd, telling them to follow him. We all obediently follow and he leads up onto a flat, open field. Weird. He would usually lead us into a forest or something. I look around and almost all the horses coats are lathered in sweat, with white rimmed eyes. Jassy gallops beside me and looks exhausted. I can't lead the herd away from the helicopter because horses are blocking my way out, including Misty, Crisp, Juno and Starstruck. The helicopter sounds closer than before and I try and speed up, not getting kicked by Misty. More horses with riders appear from behind some trees and rocks and chase us, making sure we don't try anything. Something suddenly appears in my eyesight beside me. Fence. A tall, grey fence. I neigh, almost scream, to History to lead us out of here, but he just quickens his pace. Then, he swiftly turns into an opening, but it closes behind him. We keep going for about two minutes before being chased into corrals.

It isn't that big, so we are all pressed against each other, scrambling to find any way out. About four humans enter the corral and grab each stallion and put them in separate corrals. Then our foals get torn from our sides, screeching and screaming. Jassy, poor Jassy, looks petrified. They get put into the next corral over, just out of nose reach. I pace the fence, anxious to get out. A high pitched whistle sounds through the air and I quickly face the way it came from. Wildfire.

He rears up and charges at the fence, almost falling over. Men scramble to calm him down with food and treats. No use. He wants to get out and wants to get back to me. I whinny to him, desperate to calm him down. Who knows what they might do to calm him down. He now sees me and actually calms down. I look over at Crisp, she is gasping for breath. I hear hoof steps beside me, through the fence. History. He has a grey halter on and is being led by a woman. He stops and looks at me.

" Willow! Oh, I'm so sorry. If I didn't do this... They would've hurt me or anyone in this herd. I-" He gets cut off by the woman pulling him into a barn. That's when I realize something that just horrifies me. History is a judas horse.

A/N
WHAT?! History? A judas horse? You would've NEVER guessed! By the way, if you don't know what a judas horse is, it is a horse that is trained by people to lead other herds into corrals and pretty much does the job for the people. Thanks SO much for reading!
-Acacia
{Edited}