Argo

Chapter 8

10 Months Pass

Molly races in and leaps to my stall, she is expecting my foal any day now.

" Don't worry Molly, she's fine," Steve tells the worried girl.

" She will have it when its time." He pats her on the back. She goes to Wildfire's stall and kisses his forehead, she has been training him for western riding and he is progressing well. She clicks his lead on and ties him up to the hitching post, tacks him up and rides him out to the ring. He hasn't talked much to me since I told him I was pregnant, I finish up my morning mash and get pulled out to get groomed. Gravity was sold a few months back, good riddance.

Linco passed away Sunday night, one week ago. He had gotten a bad disease called strangles, luckily the rest of us didn't catch it, but it was sad. He got buried under his favourite tree in the yard, an apple tree small enough for us to reach them. He was twenty years old and still going strong but fate took his life and now he is gone. Bella is an emotional and physical wreck because of his death, she was with him since they were foals. I feel a jab of pain close to my tail and I lay down. I give a haunting whinny and Molly gallops into the barn and hops off Wildfire, leaving him standing there. She calls for help, but no one answers, Molly calls the house and Zoe picks up.

" Zoe, I need you here now! Ellie is having her foal!" She screams into the phone.

" I am feeding the baby, I will get your dad for you. Don't panic, Molly!" Zoe speaks out of the phone, we hear a door slam and running boots. Steve rushes in.

" Molly, I will handle this, go untack your horse!" He orders her, she snatches Wildfire's dangling reins and quickly untacks him, she closes the barn door and doesn't bother to put Wildfire in his stall. I see him peek into my stall slightly. She rushes into my stall.

" How is she doing?" She asks, eyes glossy with tears.

" She is doing fine." Steve answers, I look up and see the two legs sticking out of my... Hindquarters and rest my head on Molly's lap.

After a while of this, I finally give birth to a beautiful blue roan paint colt. He nickers friendly, while I lick him.

" He's beautiful dad, nice job!" Molly congratulates her father.

" If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't of seen this amazing gift. He's yours. You deserve him." Steve smiles at his astonished daughter, she wraps her long arms around her father.

" Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She giggles, she kisses my confused foals forehead and leaps to put Wildfire away. Steve pats my sweaty neck and locks the door behind him.

" Hello there little one, " I coo at the confused foal.

" My name is Willow, I am your mother." I nuzzle the foal, standing up.

"Hello?" He answers shakily, trying to stand up. He slips over his own hooves and falls over, I nudge him to get up, he stands and locks his legs.

"Ahhh!" He whinnies, panicked the foal takes one small step towards me and starts nursing, it feels weird for the first time but I get used to it.

" Congratulations." Wildfire says, without his normal energy.

" Thank you," I nicker back.

"Are you ok?" I ask, nudging his nose.

" I'm fine." He snaps turning around, I want to say something but its mean and I don't want to influence my foal into a bad attitude.

" What am I?" The foal asks, looking all over his body.

"You are a horse, well a foal and your name is Argo." I tell him, he nods, sniffing the hay, then sneezing. Argo nickers to Wildfire and he turns back around.

" Hi my name is Wildfire." He nickers to my curious foal.

"Hi, I'm Argo!" Argo playfully whinnies, dancing around the stall. Wildfire looks up at me.

" He's cute!" He nickers, nudging Argo's head. After a few hours after Argo was born, we get turned out into the front pasture with Bella and Domino.

" He is adorable!" Bella nickers to him.

" Yeah, he's cute," Domino boringly says.

" Let's race across the pasture, first one there wins!" Domino energetically whinnies. He pretends to be very slow and Argo wins causing domino to 'complain', making us laugh. Fire whinnies to Argo and Domino to come back because Steve, Molly and Hillary are coming towards us with our halters, we play 'chase the horses' for a few minutes before being cornered and brought to our stalls. They toss us our hay and freshen up our waters before leaving for their eating time.

" I'm tried, mommy." Argo sleepily says, almost falling over, I catch him with my head ad lay him down.

" Go to sleep, Argo." I nicker, nudging him.

" Goodnight." I nicker to everyone

{Edited}