Chapter Fifty - Under Attack

I didn't know what time it was when the Soldier came knocking on my door, but I had managed to wash the blood out of my clothes and dried them all with the tiny useless hair dryer under the sink that looked like it had never been used. It took forever to dry my clothes, and in the end I just gave up and left some patches damp.

As I stepped out of my room, I saw that the previously busy lounge was now empty, not an agent in sight, except for the Soldier, who was leaning against the wall next to my door. He was still dressed in his leather clothing, though this time, there was a large gun peeking over his shoulder from where it was strapped to his back.

"You need more weapons." He muttered, pushing off the wall as I closed my door behind me.

I had no choice but to follow him as he walked towards the lift. I didn't ask why I needed more weapons than two daggers, a handful of throwing stars and a gun hanging at my waist. When we stepped outside the lift, we found outselves in a darkened room lit only by a few red lights. Every spare inch of the room was covered in weapons, except for the floor.

The Soldier stood by the lift, arms crossed, as my eyes darted over all of the weapons. I settled for two more Glocks and several full magazines, along with a few smaller knives. The Soldier didn't say anything as we stepped back into the lift, and I spent the whole trip down to the garage finding spare space in my utility belt for my new weapons.

The garage was full of all difference shaped and sized cars, though they were all coloured black. The Soldier picked a solidly built one and grabbed the keys from behind the plates. I opened up the passenger seat and slid inside, admiring the spotless leather as the Soldier slid into the drivers seat and started the car. It roared to life and a wide door not far away slowly began to open up, causing the Soldier to slam his foot on the accelerator before I had even put on my seatbelt. I went flying forward and I swear the Soldier even smirked a little, but when I shot a glare at him, he remained blankly staring forward as we drove out of the garage and into the darkness of the night.

We drove in silence for quite a little bit, everything around us stayed as fields and many trees for about 10 minutes. Slowly, houses began to come into view and the areas we drove into became more populated until we seemed to be in the centre of town. Even then, the Soldier kept driving. As I opened my mouth to ask where we were going, he reached into a pocket with one of his gloved hands and pulled out a small black disk, with he put on the dashboard. It immediately lit up a pale blue colour and a projection appeared above it.

"Isabelle Hartley." He turned his eyes back to the road. "High-ranking agent of SHEILD. She lives on first avenue in a large apartment block. Easy keypad access, high buildings all around. It should be an easy shot through the windows."

I nodded and reached out for the disk on the dashboard, but he quickly snatched it back and tucked it into his pocket. I shot him a look, but he remained staring straight ahead.

We pulled into a dark alleyway and the Soldier switched off the headlights, shutting off the engine as I undid my seatbelt and hopped out. The air here was... denser and smelt strongly of trash. I wrinkled my nose and watched the Soldier as he walked around the front of the car, looking up at the building on our left.

"Up this way." Was all he said before beginning to climb up a rusting ladder on the side of the building that led up to the roof. I waited until he had disappeared over the top before I followed him, gripping the metal tightly as the ladder swayed under my weight.

From the top of the building, we had quite a good view of the city, despite it being dark with only a few street lights. The Soldier was hiding behind what looked like a chimney, loading the large gun that had been strapped over his back. I crouched down on the other side of the chimney and loaded my Glocks too, though for the long distance shot, we would be better off using the Soldier's gun.

"Our target is through that window.." Said the Soldier, drawing my attention to him and I saw him pointed to a window in the multi-story apartment across the road with a concerning amount of flower pots displayed in the window. The Soldier moved out from behind the chimney, laying down on the roof and carefully aiming for the window. He slid something into the magazine that wasn't ordinary bullets. Before I could ask what it was, he fired and the projectile went straight through the glass window, shattering it immediately. There was a couple of seconds silence before there was a loud boom and the whole room burst into flame.

"Get down." The Soldier hissed at me and I scrambled to the edge of the building, climbing down the rusty ladder as fast as I could. The Soldier didn't even both to climb down the whole way, his legs taking quite the impact as he jumped down half way. We jumped into the car and the Soldier started it up, slamming his foot on the accelerator. We spun out of the alleyway just as flames began to pour out of the window. I scrambled to put my seatbelt on and quickly looked over my shoulder, the street still empty as flames roared. The Soldier spun us around a corner and I lost my grip, crashing against the door. I snapped my neck towards the Soldier and glared at him, but he just kept checking in his mirrors.

We only slowed down after driving for about five minutes and I breathed out a heavy sigh of relief, slumping back in my seat before smirking at our first successful mission.

-{+}-

When the Soldier and I arrived back at the base, we put our weapons back in their place in the weapon room in silence. I kept a dagger in my boot and two of the Glocks in my holsters, along with spare magazines.

Just as we began to walk out of the weapons room, a wave of agents came rushing towards us and the red lights all around us began to flash. A loud alarm started to go off and I winced slightly, looking around in confusion. One of the agents grabbed me and I pulled myself out of their grip roughly, falling back into the Soldier. He pushed me behind him and squared up against the agents, his metal hand hidden under a glove flexing and clicking

"What do you think you are doing?" He demanded roughly in Russian.

"We are under attack." Replied one of the agents, yelling slightly over the sound of the siren. "There has been an order to lock her away." The Soldier nodded roughly and stepped back inside the weapon room, grabbing a massive gun and shoving past all of the other agents. The one at the front grabbed me and this time I couldn't yank out of their grip. He pulled me forward and I swung a fist at his jaw, knocking his head backwards, but he still didn't let go of me. I didn't know what they were going to do with me, and I didn't want to find out.

I grabbed their head and slammed it down onto my knee, which I brought up to meet it. They yelled loudly and let go of me, but another one quickly replaced me and hit me sharply in the back of my head with their fist, knocking me unconscious.