Chapter 42

Edward opens our bedroom door and Alice stands on the other side. In her hand is two dresses and two pairs of shoes. The other hand has a small makeup bag.

"I'm here to get Bella ready for dinner." she chirpily states. Edward glares at her and I walk over to his to rub his back.

"Alice, Edward is really stressed right now. I can get ready on my own. Next time you can get me ready... I promise." I sigh out. Her smile drops, but by my last words she has a huge smile plastered on her face.

"Okay." she squeals and pulls me into a quick hug.
"Great to see you back, I've missed you." she adds then quickly leaves the room. Edward shuts the door and turns to look at me.

"I'm not stressed." he exclaims in horror.
"Yes you are." I reply and peck his cheek. His eyes narrow and I innocently smile.

"Bella, I am not stressed." he repeats.
"Is someone scared to admit that they're stressed?" I tease. He lets out an annoyed huff and lifts me off the ground. He carries me to the closet then sets me down.

"We have to be dressed up for dinner. I think the head of security is going to be eating with us to discuss the Laurent issue." he murmurs and goes to his side of the closet. I do the same and pick a blue dress out. I locate a pair of black ballet flats, then get dressed. I brush my hair out, so it falls to my mid waist. After adding some mascara to my eyelashes, I put my things away and see that Edward is ready.

He's sitting on the bed with a frustrated look on his face. Multiple emotions flash across his face; hurt, anger, worry.

"Are you okay?" I quietly ask. His eyes meet mine and he clears his throat as he stands up.

"Yea I'm fine." he replies and grabs my hand.
"Ready?" He asks and I nod as he leads me out of the room.

"Edward, are you sure you're fine?" I worriedly ask.
"I'm fine. Well talk after dinner." he murmurs and presses a quick kiss to my lips. I nod and he opens the dining room door. Everyone is already seated, so we take the last two seats.

"Bella it's nice to see you again." Esme states with a big smile.

"It's nice to see you too." I agree and put on a polite smile. Edwards hand links with mine and he turns towards a guy with blue eyes and blondish hair.

"What are we going to do about Laurent?" He asks and runs his thumb over my knuckles.

"Your highness, we have put together our best agents. They're tracking the suv, getting a license plate number, and figuring out where Laurent is. We have heightened the guards around the castle. We are doing everything in our power to stop Laurent." the guy says with a slight bow of the head.

"I want the footage from every camera in Forks. I want to find out where he is in this very moment." Edward states.

"We're on it sir." the guy replies. Edward nods and his hand clenches around mine. I quickly press a kiss to his cheek and he relaxes. A salad gets placed in front of everyone and Edward gives me a look, urging me to eat. I take a bite and he smiles.

"So Bella. How have you been?" Esme asks.
"I've been... I've been okay. Being away from Edward wasn't the best month of my life." I say with a small shrug. Alice coos at us and Edward glares.

"It wasn't the best month for Edward either." Carlisle says with a chuckle.
"Mom, dad, really?" Edward grunts.
"What, were just stating a fact?" Esme exclaims.
"An embarrassing fact!" He protests.
"I'd love to hear more." I but in with a smile.
"We'll talk after dinner." Esme agrees, her eyes lit up with happiness.

"Great." Edward grumbles under his breath. I lightly slap his chest and he rolls his eyes.
_______________
Dinner ends and Edward scoops me out of my seat. He tosses me over his shoulder then takes off running.

"Edward! I wanted to hear what you did when I was gone!" I angrily exclaim.

"I'll tell you myself. My family tends to over exaggerate." he replies and opens a door. He steps inside, then sets me on my feet. I stare up at him and he kisses my forehead.

"When you left I was a total mess. I buried myself in work and barely left my office. The only time that I was happy... was when I was calling or texting you." he quietly states. His eyes blaze with love and I smile.
"So I wasn't crazy and overreacting for staying in my bed?" I ask.

"You weren't overreacting." he promises.
"Good." I whisper and peck his lips. He chuckles and captures my lips with his. His hands move to my waist and he lifts me off the ground. My legs wrap around his waist and I squeal.

"You're so darn cute." he chuckles and continues to kiss me. My arms wrap around his neck and I lightly tug at his hair.

"I have to tell you something else." he says and pulls away with a grunt. Emotion fills his eyes and I frown.
"Why's wrong?" I ask and kiss the corner of his mouth.

"My brother died in the bombing." he hoarsely whispers. My eyes widen in shock and I stare at him.

"What do you mean? You had another brother?" I ask in shock. His eyes shut and he takes a deep breath.

"His name was Mike. He was younger, he had went to the bathroom. Emmett noticed the bomb under the table and we got evacuated. It slipped everyone's mind that Mike was still inside. We thought security had got him out another exit. But they didn't.... he went back to the table, and it exploded." he hoarsely whispers. His eyes flash open and I pull him into a tight hug.

"Edward I'm so sorry. I didn't know-"
"It's been a while." he interrupts. I feel the tears hitting my shoulder and my heart clenches.
"I'm sorry." I whisper.