𝟒𝟐 𝐀 𝐌𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐦

A/N

Sorry for the inconsistent updates. Dealing with some real life shit at the moment, so I'm a bit all over the place.

If you're interested, I am now active on Tumblr (bijouxcarys) where I mostly post about Led Zeppelin. Particularly Robert Plant. Because... fuck.

Anyway, here's chapter 42. Hope you enjoy it! Make sure to let me know what you think. Love reading all your comments :)

**mature content ahead**

January 24th, 1976 – Kensington, London

Maria

As I sat on the sofa at Deacy and Veronica's place, Robert nestled on my knee, I couldn't contain the fiery frustration that consumed me. My hands were animatedly gesturing as I recounted the recent conversation with Reid that had left me absolutely livid.

"I mean, seriously, Ronnie, can you believe this? Reid practically assured me that I'd be joining them for the US leg of the tour to get a feel for my co-manager role, and now he's pulling this shit? Changing his mind at the last fucking minute?" I ranted, my voice tinged with anger.

Veronica's sympathetic expression mirrored my own frustration. She leaned back against the armrest, her eyes full of understanding. "I can't believe he'd do that, especially after getting your hopes up like that. It's just not right."

Deacy, perched in an adjacent armchair, chimed in, his tone a mix of empathy and disbelief. "That's some serious lack of professionalism right there. If he gave you his word, he should stick to it."

I nodded vehemently, Robert's presence on my knee acting as a soothing balm to my spiralling emotions. His innocence seemed to temper my anger, grounding me as I held him close. "Exactly! I was mentally prepared for this, and now he's throwing everything into chaos. I swear, Deacy, if I see him on the street—"

Veronica laid a reassuring hand on my arm, her expression calm yet determined. "Maria, take a deep breath. You know, sometimes these things happen. Maybe something happened behind the scenes."

"I am behind the scenes, though, Ronnie!" I whined. "I bet it was shitting Prenter." I clenched my jaw.

"You don't know that," Deacy gave me a warning glance, knowing how fucked up things could get when anyone went head-to-head with Paul Prenter. Especially now that Freddie seemed to be closer to him than ever.

"Yeah, well, what else could it be?" I asked, looking down at Robert as his eyes curiously darted between his parents and me.

"The business itself? It's messed up. You know what happened to us before we got involved with Reid, maybe it's just something like that. Hopefully not as bad, but you know there can be technicalities that mess everything up," Deacy said.

I sighed, the rational part of my brain acknowledging his words, even if my frustration still simmered beneath the surface. "I know that, Deacy, it's just so damn frustrating. And it's not just me I'm worried about. Brian has been looking forward to having me there, especially after everything, and especially since I've never been out of the country before. He's been so excited to show me certain places."

Robert squirmed on my knee, his tiny fingers reaching for the chain around my neck. I watched him for a moment, his innocent curiosity providing a brief respite once again from my turbulent thoughts. His presence reminded me that despite the chaos swirling around me, there was constants worth holding onto.