Chapter 3

I was walking alone in the middle of a mass of bodies rushing through the airport. I arrived at the gate early. I almost had a fight with Mew when I left home tonight. I didn't want to bicker with him in front of Miles. Our son was sad that I was leaving for a few days. I tried to console him as best as I could, promising that I was going to bring him back a present from New York. Mew complained that Miles was going to be difficult while I went away and that he was going to have to take care of him in this state along with the pressure that he was already getting from work. I almost snapped at him and it took a lot of strength not to. I hugged them one last time and hopped into the taxi without looking back, wanting to get out of this mess quickly.

As I sat alone in one of the chairs in the waiting area at the gate, I couldn't stop thinking I was a bad mom for leaving my son like this. I could have hugged him some more before I went inside the car. But Mew pissed me off and I was sure staying a little bit longer would have ended with us arguing and fighting in front of our son. I didn't want to part with them feeling angry... Even though I ended up being angry anyway...

I waited with my eyes closed, trying to calm down. As people started to sit around me, I looked around but Engfa was nowhere to be seen. The gate finally opened, the other travelers got up and started to line up to board the plane. Engfa still wasn't there. I check my phone several times. Nothing. Was I going to go to New York alone? I wouldn't make it without her. I started panicking when the line was almost over. Then I saw her, running with her bag flying behind her.

"Charlotte! I'm sorry! I'm so late!" she said, panting.

"Are you ok?" I asked. I couldn't help but smile seeing her next to me, my heart beating in my chest. I was relieved to see her, nothing more. And I was kind of worried about her. But in a normal way. Shut up, brain! I smiled at Engfa's hair, all over the place, probably from running across the airport.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't text you. My eldest son put my work phone into the aquarium." she said, getting at the end of the line, ready to board, her passport in her hand, trying to put her hair back in place.

"What?"

"He said he wanted to take better pictures of our fish." she sighed.

I laughed. But she didn't. So I apologized immediately.

"I'm sorry. You seemed really stressed out. Are you ok?" I asked again.

"Yeah, yeah... sorry. I'm glad I got here in time."

We got on board and found our seats. I felt like something was off so I started talking about New York to relieve the tension. Asking about what we could do with the few hours that we got on the third day before getting back to Bangkok. Engfa started to ease up into the conversation. The cabin crew proceeded to check everything up and started to go through the security rules while the plane was taxiing to the take off line. I saw Engfa tensed up again, grabbing the armrest between us firmly with her right hand.

"Are you sure you're ok, Engfa?"

"I don't mind flying, but take off and landing always make me nervous." she admitted.

I reached for her hand, lifting her fingers from the armrest slowly.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"It's gonna be ok, I'm here with you." I said, taking her hand in mine, caressing the skin at the back softly. "Breathe in. Breathe out. I'm here."

I found it quite endearing to see her be vulnerable like this. She accepted my help, closing her eyes, breathing deep and slow. When the plane started to speed up and took off, she frowned and squeezed my hand harder. I smiled. My god she's cute. God! Stop that, Charlotte! But the butterflies in my stomach weren't cooperating. Engfa Waraha, my boss, was fierce, handsome and also freaking cute.