TRADITIONAL CLOTHING

thank you to @soulaanempire for recreations of what our ancestors traditional wore
all the words and pictures by @soulaanempire

Kahbéh
(Woman)

this traditional outfit was created to represent different aspects of our culture. the neadpiece is called a Tignon. When the tignon laws were passed African American women could not wear their hair because it made white women feel like their social status was being "threatened" by us So we were made to cover our hair. we decided to make due and luckily for us it becane a huge fashion statement and less of oppression.

The Top is 70s inspired by Soul train & the familiar style the African American women wore

The skirt style is Gullah Geechee inspired

And the Pattern of the skirt will be different AA Quilt Patters created by our elders and ancestors.

And everybody knows AAs have always loved being Adorned in our gold jewelry.

don't forget the Gullah sweetgrass accessories!!

Looks

Kehbéh(Muslim Women)

Kehbéh
(Muslim Women)

Kehbéh(Muslim Women)

Kahbéh
(Men)

As for the men the Top embellished with our flags emblem worn underneath the Mens Shawaka that includes the African American Quilt pattern. It's is cultural for both the African American men and women to be Adorned in gold jewelry.

The bottoms of the mens Kahbéh is inspired by the Zoot suit which as you all know has a long history in AA culture. When wearing the Kahbéh it is best to pair it with dress shoes and a quality durag as well.

Kahbéhs are made for cultural and special occasions.

Look