FOLK LORE PT. 10 WAIT UNTIL EMMET COMES

One night in West Virginia, A preacher was on his way to church when the sky went dark. It was about to storm, and the only house nearby was an old mansion which was said to be haunted.

He put his horse into the barn, made his way into the house and settled into a large room containing a fireplace that filled one wall.
He lit a fire then sat down to read his Bible.

Suddenly the preacher was taken from his reading by a sound. He looked up and a very large black cat was Stretching itself, walked to the fire and sat down on the piping hot coals. It picked a coal up in its paw and licked it slowly.

The cat got up, shook off the ashes, and walked to the foot of the preacher's chair.
It fixed its blazing yellow eyes upon him: "Wait until Emmet comes".

in shock. He had never heard of a cat talking before. Nervously he kept reading his Bible, muttering to himself, "The Lawd will take care o' me."

Two minutes later, another cat comes in. It was black and as large as the biggest dog. It lay down on the red-hot coals, pat them with its enormous paws, then walked over to the other cat and said: "What shall we do with him?" The first cat replied: "We will not do anything until
Emmet comes"

A third cat, big as a tiger, entered the room. It went to the fire full of red hot coals and rolled among them, chewing them and spitting them out. Then it came to the other two cats facing the preacher in the chair.
"What shall we do with him?" it growled to the others. "We should not do anything until Emmet comes," the other cats replied together.

The preacher flipped to Revelation, looking furtively around the room. He closed the Bible and stood up. "Goodnight cats, Lis glad of yo' company, but when Emmet comes, you done tell him I been hea and went."