FOLK LORE PT. 4 SUKEY & THE MERMAID

Sukey was a little girl who lived in a rickety old cabin with her ma and mean step pa on the sea islands of South carolina. one day when her step-pa wasn't looking, Sukey took her Chance to sneak away to her secret hiding place by the sea.

She sings a song that'd come to her in her dreams, but as she is singing she catches a glimpse of a green shimmer beneath the water she sat near, and then a woman with dark brown skin, gold jewelry, green hair and a glittery green tail emerges from the sea

Mama Jo had been watching Sukey long before she met her (hence the dreams) and wished to take her away from her unhappy life to live with her in her kingdom underwater.

Everyday Sukey went to the beach Mama Jo would be there waiting for her with a gold coin and they eventually became really close, but when her ma follows her and sees Mama Jo giving Sukey the gold coin she tells her husband.
Early the next morning they go out and try to catch Mama Jo, and sadly after that Mama Jo stops appearing for Sukey.

Suddenly Sukey becomes very sick. While she is bed ridden she dreams of Mama Jo who says she will appear to her once more if she wants to come live with her.

She uses the little strength she had to drag herself to the water and sings the new song Mama Jo taught her in her dream, and Mama Jo uses her magical hair to take Sukey to her underwater kingdom.