FOLK LORE PT. 6 UNCLE MONDAY

Uncle Monday was a conjurer, medicine man, and shapeshifter enslaved in the Carolinas.

Monday quickly escaped and traveled south until he arrived in Seminole country in Florida where he made friends with the local indigenous and afro indigenous people. There he helped them with herbal magick and medicines, and even helped to lead a revolt.

During a skirmish in the Everglades, he shifted into an enormous Alligator and called hundreds of scaled kin to his aid. They
slaughtered the regiment, leaving only one man to return.

It is said that he and the Seminoles held off federal troops until 1842, when the government finally called off the removal effort.

The legend also tells us of
"a lesson to old lady Judy Bronson", who claimed her magic was as strong as his, so strong she could reverse any conjure work he'd done.

Uncle Monday brought her to a swamp and commanded an alligator to guard her until she admitted that he was more powerful.

As the darkness fell, Judy finally confessed that he had the greater power. It was written that he could not only transform into the reptile, but he could also control them.

Legend says he still sleeps in the Everglade, waiting to be awakened if needed.